baby beardie help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koubee

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have six, two and a half week old bearded dragons, and i'm really struggling to get them to eat. They're in an enclosure that is thermostatically controlled with an average temp of 30.
I've been offering them beardie salad daily and misting them 3-4 times a day. They don't seem to be interested in the crickets or salad. I've popped crickets into thier mouths when they get a bit ticked off and open their mouths. I put them all into a container for feeding 3 times a day with small crickets. Is there anyway i can get them into the crickets? They're really starting to worry me.

well i should say that i hatched them and they were laid here at my house.

Hey mate, try feeding them in their enclosure, works alot better, they get freaked out easily if not in their enclosure. Walk away and they should be gone.

Thanks i'll give it a go, the salad mix is put in the enclosure but i'm not sure if they're eating it or just messing it up by running through it.

I tried feeding out of the cage, doesn't work very well, adults only seem to eat out of the roach tub's.

my 2 new tawnys aint eating either :(:(:(

There a bit young to be a big fan of the salad, keep trying with the crickets or roaches. What temp do you have in the hot spot?

Mine eat veggies the same as hey do crickets. DW hornet, they will get onto them.

Hi Koubee
We keep our baby beardies in small tubs...half on a heat mat and half off with co**** river sand and just a uv light over the top and small shallow water bowl.
Take the water bowl out and feed them in there....the crickets/woodies can't hide........ when using sand....don't move the tubs as they get used to the surroundings and don't feel threatened.
I wouldn't worry about vegies at this stage...get them to eat insects entusiastically first!!!
Babies get stressed if kept in too large a container. Garth has raised hundreds of baby beardies and this works for us!
Let us know how you go!

I found anything that wriggles or flies induced them to snap at it.

Koubee,

I use a plastic tub with sand glued onto the bottom. The sand is sealed using laquer so cant be ingested. Its easy to clean and gives the hatchies traction on the floor (unlike a plastic tub which is slippery) and doesnt give the crickets anywhere to hide (like paper towel).

just put a whole heap of dusted crickets in there and leave them. They will eat them once the instinct kicks in. Mine started eating 2 days after hatching. Also take out the salad. They dont really need it and definately wont be fussed on eating it at this stage. Can feed them on crix and woodies all year and just the occasional salad.

i keep my babies under a 160watt mercury bulb, they start eating within 2 days, i never worry about controlling the heat?????? they love it hot, my other batch are in a 2 foot tank with a 100watt mercury bulb and they are thriving, if you have the right heat and uva/uvb they will smash them crickets, but i prefer to feed mine baby roaches as they are slower and don't jump away, mine also start eating salad after 2 days,

You can also remove the back legs of the crickets to make them walk instead of jump :)

Thanks guys, heaps of helpful tips. I'll concentrate more on the crickets. I figured they must be eating something for them to still be alive after nearly 3 weeks. I know it's not good to have crix in the tank with the babies but there are a couple hopping around. It might entice them.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Also i have stuck the paper down on the bottom of the enclosure so the cickets can't hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back