Baby beardie wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animal805

Reaction score
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
Hi
I need help. My 2& a half week old red phase beardie has only eaten 2 or 3 pieces of mustard greens or dandilion greens or may be a piece of grated carrot from my finger for the 2 days I have had her in her enclosure(pics attached here somewhere)some people are telling me not to worry but she is so small I am worried that she will burn up the small fat reserves she has. She has been offered calcium dusted weaner (smaller than small but bigger than pinhead) crickets, but they can crawl on her head and she just does not react. Should i try something new or should I just persist, because some web sites tell you not to worry for a week if they are not eating real well. She has pooped, so impaction is not an issue.

Attachments

• 2011-10-02 17.02.36.jpg
    2011-10-02 17.02.36.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 2011-09-19 13.31.24.jpg
    2011-09-19 13.31.24.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 84
They eat more live prey than veggies when they're young
As they grow older greens and other foods should be introduced more
What temps are you running?
Does it have access to fresh water?
What substrate are you using?

I am using sandstone tiles covered with paper towel at the moment, with half the enclousure with short pile synthetic grass, almost repticarpet length. She has fresh water and has had some to drink which surprised me. Basking temp runs at between 100 and 110F(40 - 42c) and cool end gets down to 78F(25 - 26c)She is not eating live prey at all. Is she just getting used to her new surroundings or what? She does appear to be very relaxed!

be sure that your uvb tube is a 10.0 and that it is not older than 6 months old. Allow your dragon to bask within 6-10 inches of it.

Get yourself an outdoor basking cage or a storage tub so you can give him some natural UV/sunlight.
Make sure there is a shady spot to get out of the heat if he is outside.
A day or 2 in the sun and he will be eating like a champ.

agreed with getting a mesh cage, nothing beats real sun for UVB light, butalways make sure it has a shady end,a nd ont put ur lizard outside on those stinking summer days, it will overheat in no time. (must be said since every year someone cooks their lizards)

its a good habit to start feeding young lizards in feeding tubs so uneaten crickets dont start nibbling on ur beardy.

if youre super worried, gget some babyfood, add a bit of calcium, dilute it with water use a plastic syringe to drop some on ur beardys nose and it should start licking (add more)

dont do this more than once every second day, you want ur beardy to start chasing cricks, but this will keeo it hydrated, with something in its tummy so you dont need to stress too much,....till its ready,..

temps sound good,,....

Thank you for all your advice, she has started to eat crickets but only like 5-6 at a time. Can I put her in sun in a click clack type container with the mesh type lid with plenty of ventillation and shade at one end?

Thank you for all your advice, she has started to eat crickets but only like 5-6 at a time. Can I put her in sun in a click clack type container with the mesh type lid with plenty of ventillation and shade at one end?

Id be careful using a plastic tub for that.

5-6 crix at a time is ok for a 2 week old beardie, just feed him twice a day, spray him twice a day with water and keep him warm :)
If hes eating salad now hes already a champ..just keep giving it to him.

Start weighing him if you want to monitor his weight gain, ull need a good set of scales. I think it sounds all fine tho

I used to breed central beardeds. I used to have a fissing shop down the road that sold maggots.
Used to put them in a little dish and dust them morning and afternoon. That was in Melbourne
All the babies loved them and grew really well. When they were dusted they could'nt get out of bowl.
I used to also have permanant outdoor cupboard with a wire top that they used to go in if the weather was good.
That outside tank had a part of an old sleeper in it that they could sit on or under. They heat up very quick.
I would'nt put them in a tub.
Hope this helps, Justin

Again, thanks to all, I have had her in the sun for a half hour session and already she has lifted her game. Am investing in a mesh enclosure for her to sit in the sun, what a difference it makes. I put her click clack in her enclosure so she can see the crickets from her basking spot and when she has warmed herself up for an hour, bang no hesitation she climbs down her log and jumps onto her skull feature and chomps away for a good ten mins eating between 10 and 15. She then climbs out and up under her basking light with a fat little belly. I think she now knows what is going on. I still have to hand feed her greens but she is at least eating them, so cheers to all for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back