Fed too big a mouse too soon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy S

Reaction score
My about 7 months old pygmy python is a little ripper of a snake, easy to handle and feeds well... until... so I'd been feeding her two different size pinkie mice, got them from two different places. There's quite a difference in the size. The small ones are really tiny and barely make a bump in her that lasts less than a day. The others she still scoffs down quite easily and they make a small bump. Anyway one day there were no pinkies left so I got some fuzzies that seemed barely bigger than the large pinkies I had been giving her. She took one but I found it the next day in her hide. I don't know how much of an attempt she had made to eat it. Now she won't even eat the bigger pinkies. She's quite happily gobbling down the tiny pinkies, but I'm trying to understand what's happened. Do you think the fuzzie could have been too big and she hurt herself when trying to consume it? How long should I wait before offering another larger pinkie? It was 3 weeks ago it happened and two weeks since she refused the larger pinkies. She wouldn't eat anything, even the smaller ones for the week after the attempt. You don't think this will be a permanent aversion? Should I be concerned about injury? Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Back