Baby Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im sorry miss b but you wrong about the males i have houses all my boys in the same tank and they have never fight ed in fact they all sit on the opisite end from the girls

In my experience I don't think she is wrong - I had 2 males grow up together. When mature the more dominant male nearly tore the other males leg off. I learnt the hard way - I would never house two adult males together again.

Planks - how old are your males??

Am i able to get all female hatchlings when i purchase them? I thought they cant be accurately sexed till later..if they can be sexed il get say 4 females and 2 males..

a 6 x 2 x 2 should be big enough for the 4 adults, the other 2 remaining beardies will be sold or kept in display tank, if male ill swap males from time to time.

Also, temp in hot end should be around 35degress? and cool end around 20-25?

How many vents should i install in the enclosure? im thinking of putting 2 vents, 1 flurescent light, 1 100W globe for hot end, and newspaper as substrate while theyre hatchlings.

Is this info correct? hatchlings are ok with that heat and size of the tank?

And one question, ive never used a thermostat before, im wondering how it works? Whats the purpose of it? and will it be running my 6 x 2 x 2 by turning lights on/off as need etc.

Thanks.

Also after theyve bred, do i remove the male so he doesnt harrass the female too much?

I might do what dragon_lady said and leave the females together for a while after breeding, since theyre not aggressive towards each other.

Now you are thinking!!!!... yes wait till their 2yrs till breeding...keep girls together and all will be fine, personalities are all different i totally agree........some males are naturally dominent & i dont use a thermostat in my 6ft,3ft by 2ft tank or others,then i am in S.A.
Under bake light can be up to 35* for hatchies and cool end not under 16* in that size habitat, for first month i use a red heat light 24/7 then after that swap to a clear spot heat globe and all lights off when sun goes down and on again in morning....they feed much better,thus grow better.

So my lighting should consist of, a red globe, and a white uv.

And after the first month change it to a white globe? So its brighter? And also how do i keep the cool under above 16degree ?

Will it harm them if i use a white globe straight away?

Thanks.

if you really want to house in groups i would keep a pair or trio of females together and a male seperately. there's less chance of problem agression between an all female pop and i personally don't like keep males in with girls all the time cause being constantly gavid can be bad for their health

Yeah, im planing on keeping them all together as hatchlings, then around 6-8month mark, ill remove males :D or keep one in there, until first time gravid..

Hey all, just quick question, ive got two options, i have my enclosure, which is a bit bigger than 5ft, i have been told not to put hatchlings in there because they will die of stress?

Should i raise them somewhere else? im confused, a few other people told me i could put the hatchlings in the 5ft enclosure as long as theres hiding spots.

Thanks, just need some opinions and experiences if any.

yeah that's a really conusing thing to say i got my beardie at around 2 months of age and she went straight into her 4ft and what can i say she's still alive and very healthy. IMO beardies don't need to be slowly moved up in cage size straigh into a large one is fine esp at those numbers anything smaller wouldn't be good and would stress them out due to over crowding. just make sure you have one hide per dragon with a couple spare and ample bask room

thanks wood_nymph.

Ive actually got my mind set on 6 beardie hatchlings, 5 or 6 hides, nice big log for basking, few rocks.

Im planning to feed them seperately, i have enough crickets to feed 20 of the things! lol

So yeah, its safe to say that 6 baby beardies would be ok in a 5-6ft enclosure?

Does that mean id have to put all 6 in at the same time? I was planning on getting 2 from 3 different breeders.

Thanks again!

no need to feed seperate just keep an eye on which ones are eating and if any are stoping the others from eating.

Thanks Snow, so it would be ok to put them in a big enclosure? as long as theres enough hides?

Do i have to put all 6 in there at once? or can i put them in 2's since im getting them from 3 different breeders.

I just dont want them to die incase the enclosures too big?

Thanks Snow.

You should be fine to do as your planning to brigo. When i bought hatchies again last season, i bought 4 and kept them all together in the one 5ft tank. You will just need to keep an eye on which ones become dominant etc, and may need to separate at a later date. I've since moved one off to another enclosure but still have 3 in the 5fter. 2 females on one side, with a partition separating them from the male.

Good luck.

Thanks alot Twiggz, my enclosures a 5 x 2 x 2 tiny bit longer than 5ft.

I will have 6 beardie hatchies in there, im planning housing males seperately around 6-8 months old.

Can i ask what actually kills them ? and why theere would be a chance of death if theyre thrown into a big enclosure instead of a small one.

Thanks.

Been helpful Twiggz.

Like alot of animals, if you give them to much open space at such a young age/size it can be very dounting for them- increasing stress, consequently resulting in them becoming withdrawn and facing a loss of appetite.

What do you intend on using as a substrate brigo?

I intend on using fake grass, let me know what you think about the beardie situation.

Thanks Twiggz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back