baby blotched bluey's with pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve6610

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i just had a very nice find in my outside pit, just found 5 new baby blotched bluey's, i've been having a great weekend after finding our 2 coastals had layed on friday and saturday, this is the second year i've bred my blotched bluey's, i'm stoked, i've had a few people tell me they thought the blotched bluey's would find it to hot up here in nth qld, but i've had the parents for 3 years now and counting these i've now bred 12 babies in the last 2 seasons, ( i only have 2 females ), i'm hoping my other girl might be gravid also, i guess the fact that they have bred the last 2 years means they must be happy living up north, the only sad part is they will only be staying with me for a couple weeks as they already have new homes to go to, :( , but we can't keep them all, :D ,

cheers,
steve.........

hi,
they are about the right size for blotched bluey's, the hands you see belong to my 6 year old nephew, not mine, lol,

cheers,
steve........

hey steve very nice do u have any pics of the adults

hi tristis,
thanks, i don't have any on my computer at the moment, i did take some when they were mating but they got deleted by mistake of the digital camera, ( i wasn't happy ), i'll have to take some more in the next few days and post them for you,

cheers,
steve........

re baby

Surprising that they do so well up there steve,and they have young ones so early but they must be OK or they wouldnt breed hey.I looked at some of mine and noticed she had sloughed and is looking pretty fat,the poor bugger has had the crap porked out of her,got more bite marks on her than a rat turned snake handler. :p

Surprising that they do so well up there steve,and they have young ones so early but they must be OK or they wouldnt breed hey

hi zulu,
your not the first to think that, even some of the local herpers have asked me about it, i can tell you that i have more sucess from my blotched then i do with my easterns, and as we both have said, the fact that they breed is enough to say they are happy, i kept 3 from last year and they have grown very well and am hoping for a couple more females from them,
i have 14 eastern bluey's and would sell them now at the right price and buy more blotched bluey's,
i have 8 adult and 6 sub adult blotched bluey's at the moment, i know i have 2 female adults as 2 bred last year and bought a third female early this year, ( not sure if it is female or not ) , but time will tell, all 8 adults live together and are in good health, even at mating time the males don't fight much, i'm certain 1 male is the boss and the others are just there for back up, lol,
when i het around to it i'll get some picks of my adults and sub adults and post them on here,

cheers,
steve............

hi again,
just thought i'd add that my blotched are the southern form and not the alpine, but i'm planing on getting some alpines next year to see how they do up here,

cheers,
steve.......

Hi Steve, I dont know exactly where you are but I guess that southern lizards can still handle hot days. We still get 40 degree days down here. I was in Cairns in July and I didn't find it overly hot so I guess your lizards still get to cool down over "winter". I guess that up around high range it could get quite cold as well. But either way, its still a fantastic effort and they are beautiful lizards. No wonder they are already sold.

hi peter,
thanks for that, yes they are nice, i had to hide 3 from last year so they didn't get sold, lol,
lesson for newby's, when selling eastern bluey's hide the blotched because nobody will want the easterns after seeing the blotched, well that was what happened in my case, lol,
i live in Mackay, about half way between Brisbane and Cairns, the temps can range from 4 or 5 deg in winter to about 35 deg in summer, we do get colder and hoter, today it was 33 deg, i think it got down to about 8 deg this winter,
i think it's more the humidity that makes the problems, but being in the outside pit seems to work for them, after 3 years i've had no losses with my blotched, but over that time i've lost a few easterns which are right beside the blotched, but these could have been due to the age of the easterns, another lesson for newby's, be careful buying so called breeding groups, you can end up with old, 3 legged and mostly male bluey's, lol, but i still love them all,

cheers,
steve........

hey hey great looking blueys ya got there steve how much will they sell for????
cheers kahn

hi,
i sell these guys for $80.00 each,

cheers,
steve........

re baby

Hi steve,thanks for supplying plenty of usefull imformation,those in places like brisbane and other northern locals will be pleased.I have some blues with the two males i got,so much so that next year they will be separated,the females appear not to want to breed every year and pace the sides of the enclosure possibly to try and escape the aggressive mating behaviour of the dominant male.Anyhow well done steve. Cheers colin.

hi zulu,
thats ok, i've been told that blotched bluey's might only breed every 2 years, the only thing i also want to add is that for some reason my males aren't to hard on the females, i see the odd bit of marks on them, but nothing to bad that would make me separate them,

cheers,
steve.........
ps. the 5 little guys have already had 2 big feeds, little pigs, that why i love them,
i just wish i could find about 6 or 8 more adult females,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back