Baby lizards stuck in eggs, HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebbles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my southern angle head babies my first few clutchs hatched fine but my last two clutchs i have only had 1-2 hutch with the orher eggs sweating and dimpling but not hathing and when cut open a day later theyare fully formed but dead.

I have been thinking that they arent developing egg tooths how do i help them as i have another 7 eggs due in a week and dont want the same thing to happen.

P.S im not confident in pipping them when the first hacth but opinions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Pipping the eggs would be your only choice. Get someone who knows how to help you if you don't feel confident yourself. But it really not that hard to do. Since you had one clutch hatch its no say if its good or bad your third one. Wanna be safe (ish) you pip them in a few days

Pipping the eggs would be your only choice. Get someone who knows how to help you if you don't feel confident yourself. But it really not that hard to do. Since you had one clutch hatch its no say if its good or bad your third one. Wanna be safe (ish) you pip them in a few days
If they are due in a week why pip in a "few" days? Wait the week and see what they look like then. I've seen far to many people get impatient pip there clutch and end up losing them all. The best thing you can do is be patient and try to wait it out. Good luck I hope all goes well.

Nothing will help them, dead in egg reptiles usually relates to the egg not having enough nutrients in it to form the animal properly, it is very common to species that are naturally a bit shy and don't eat like pigs and / or have specific heating requirements. Heating has a lot to do with it. If I use Oedura geckos for an example; if I heat them high temps 24/7, the female lays eggs every 19-21 days for six months, very few, if any of these eggs hatch, the embryo only grows to a certain point and then dies, that point depends on how much nutrients are in the eggs, in extreme cases at 60 days its still a soft legless (but still alive) worm, in other cases it's seemingly fully formed but dies soon after 60 days..
If I don't give the female much heat at all she dies as the developing eggs drag all the calcium out of her blood... but if I blast them with heat during the day for 8 hours and then have no heating at all for the night period, she will lay eggs every 30 - 40 days for 5 months and you will get a 90% hatch rate.
Each species of reptile has specific heating requirements and they can be very challenging to work out, and then on top of that you have stress and shy animals that don't eat like they should and females that over clutch.

If they are due in a week why pip in a "few" days? Wait the week and see what they look like then. I've seen far to many people get impatient pip there clutch and end up losing them all. The best thing you can do is be patient and try to wait it out. Good luck I hope all goes well.

I suppose it depends on what he calculated as incubation time. It could be anything between '70-100 days on these buggers so if he wants to pip it's always a calculated risk. The only way they die with pipping is if its not done right, like veins are cut. Keep the right humidity and temp and it should not matter if he goes a few days early, a few days late on the other hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back