Baby pygmy beardie will only eat Moths !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vphourglass

Reaction score
Could I please get some advice on my little beardie. She (we are calling it a she) is about 8 weeks old and has decided to snub eating pinheads. The other beardie (10weeks old) we have will come running out of his tank to get at them. She was eating them fine when we bought her home a month ago, and will attack smashed peas and clover with no problems. The other evening after her not eating any crickets all day I caught a small moth and dropped it into the tank. She went crazy trying to catch it - leaping off branches and eventually caught it. So the last 2 nights I've been outside catching moths for her, which she LOVES but it's starting to get cold and there's a lot less moths around.

Is there any way I can breed them, or does anyone have any tips? I read that their diet should be mostly protein at this young age...

Thanks, Vanessa

Last edited:
pinheads would be tiny for a hatchy beardy, let alone an 8 week old one. try something about the size of the space between her eyes, i'd say the size is the most likely problem.
Roaches (at that size) would also be something to try.

Yes, youre right, they do need alot of protien at that age, not sure on breeding moths, i sometimes have a cupboard full when theres forgotten flour or oats,...but i dont know if thats seasonal, or if you can make it happen.

im not recommending mealworms, but if all else fails and you decide to try them, pick out the soft white freshly shed ones to make sure theres no risk of impaction (constipation)

Are the two beardies in the same tank? If so, that could be the answer, even though they are both very young. If they are together, try separating them for a while, and see if that gets her eating better.
If you are unable to separate them, at least take her out of the tank when you are going to feed her. That might do the trick.

also make sure they get enough heat and uvb this plays a massive factor

Thanks everyone for replying.
Pinefamily, They are in the same tank, but I do take them out one at a time to eat crickets so it's fair for both. They have clover and peas in a dish all the time. She seems to be more than happy to eat if it's a moth - just not fussed on crickets. When she's in with the crickets she sits there with her eyes closed. But tonight she dived off the branch at the top of the tank to grab a moth flying past. I had a heart attack, but she landed ok (I have artificial grass in the tank).

Chris1, I have bought "small" crickets before but they were too big (going off her eyes) so my frogs got them. I need something in between or have to let the pinheads grow a bit maybe. I'll ask at the local pet shop tomorrow if they have woodies that would be small enough.

Grogshla, All the uvb lighting and temps are fine - I think she's just a fussy toddler ??

Thank you everyone for your help, this is a great forum :)

Vanessa

Try holding off all food for a day, then offer the crickets before the greens. Another trick that has worked for us is feed the crickets juvenile beardie pellets. For some reason, the beardies find the crickets more appealing.

Thanks everyone for replying.
Pinefamily, They are in the same tank, but I do take them out one at a time to eat crickets so it's fair for both.
Vanessa

Taking them out when you feed them is good and everything but being forced to share a tank will stress them both out, as one will dominate the other eventually. You see this all the time, people who think its fine then you see posts like "Omg hes missing a foot!?" And that's why, because they were stressed from being in the same tank. To avoid ANY problems due to this, I strongly suggest you separate them. Don't just "keep an eye on them and if it starts going bad then separate" Because usually by the time you notice anything one is already missing a tail tip or toes.

Taking them out of their enclosure twice a day to feed them is a popular thing with keepers but it really just causes unnesseccary stress. I agree with seperation as it sounds a little like food domination but feeding them where they live is far less stressful for them.

Taking them out of their enclosure twice a day to feed them is a popular thing with keepers but it really just causes unnesseccary stress. I agree with seperation as it sounds a little like food domination but feeding them where they live is far less stressful for them.

I feed mine in his enclosure all the time and he's not stressed. Or do you mean with 2 in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back