Background shelf problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Langan21

Reaction score
Hi I've recently done my first DIY background with basking shelf for my diamond pythons new enclosure but I put the shelf to low from the top.The enclosure is 120cm high 90cm long and 60cm deep and the basking shelf is 55cm from the top so I'm not sure how i can heat it i was going to use a heat panel but after talking to the guys at pro herp I found out that the shelf should be about 35cm from the panel would a CHE be able to heat it from that distance or would I have to pull the background apart and start again any ideas would be much appreciated

What is on the outside of the enclosure? You can make a hole on the top, put mesh over it and sit the light on top, it looks like an upside down cone.

Edit: there are heaps of options out there. I would hate to pull apart the background I just finished. That has to be a last resort!!! Lol :)

Why not just attatch an appropriate size/wattage heat mat or heat chord to the bottom of the shelf. It will still create a good-as-any basking spot and you don't have to modify the shelf :) (Just a hole for the chord/power plug to go through the back)

If it's a foam&render shelf I'm not sure how well the heat will permeate.

You could try a ceramic heat bulb, with a cage around it. If you have to, you can try to mount it lower, closer to the shelf.

A che won't be able to heat the basking spot from that distance, if you mount the che on the inside of the cabinet, that will bring it down about 17cm, lots closer and a 100watt should be able to bring the basking spot up to temp :)

You could still use the heat panel and just put in a branch for a perch over the winter months. When the ambient temp picks up the diamond will then bask lower down on the shelf as the heat will tranfer further down when its not competing so much with the cold winter.

Are you saying that the shelf is 20cm lower than you wanted?

Without knowing the actual shape & design you've done...can you maybe secure some branches to the shelf & background so your snake can climb & perch on the branches instead?

Yeah I would just put a log of hide or something on the shelf to raise the basking spot higher.

I do indeed. Have a look in the DIY section. It's pretty popular :)

Why not mount the heat panel on a suspended shelf? That way your snake can either basking under it on the ledge or on the shelf and get belly heat.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back