Background Walls?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to build a background wall? I was thinking of styrofoam but was wondering how long it lasts before it starts to crumble.

I want to make it look like rock and give my spotted a means of climbing other than just his branch.

Have you look through the DIY section or the DIY Group,could also search Jaxrtfm the DIY Tragic

Fair enough. I'll try to search more deeply. What got me thinking was that I figured that with a snake grabbing at it that gradually pieces would break away and I noticed the Stein site sells background wall by the square meter but it is pricey and it is made of plastic resin, which I can imagine would last really well. I have usd expanda foam for other things but it is wuite hard to control and once you shape it, it loses that hard crust.

BTW what is the go with the 'Groups'? How is it any different to just the DIY forum?

Last edited:
If you put enough layers of grout/cement/plaster etc on the wall it should be strong enough, its not like you would house anything big enough in this type of enclosure that it could rip it apart, when i built my first one i tapped at it all over to see if it had any apringy/weak parts

Have you look through the DIY section or the DIY Group,could also search Jaxrtfm the DIY Tragic

Oi Deadpan ! its "DIY Tragic/Guru" IF you dont mind ! :rolleyes: Keep that attitude up and i'll come over to the dark side and pinch your cookies ! !:p

. . . . . .

BTW what is the go with the 'Groups'? How is it any different to just the DIY forum?

The DIY Group is like a section of permanent 'stickys' all sorts of info that never seems to get buried, we have 480 + members but only a handful of us seem to post, HINT HINT people.... more input is definately welcome in the group, lots of people come and join and read, but dont add to the knowledge bank of info..... I'd love to see the 'good, bad & ugly' of the trial and error that is DIY ! what works and what doesnt ! !

anyway, back to Gruni's questions here are some links that will head you in the right direction.

Link to the DIY group: as opposed to the DIY forum section. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/g...furniture-225/

From 1Woma, who had no confidence but amazed herself. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/d...lities-165126/

Assorted links from the DIY group http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/g...ndex-list-444/

How to make a hide http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/g...e-hide-153894/

foamwork for all http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/g.../foamwork-430/

If you coat the foam properly with grout/ render then you wont have any crumbling issues from a spotted.

Fire away if you have any specific Questions i'm sure we can give you an answer......

This will be for a new home when my Mac is fully grown and needs a new home. So would you consider a 1.5m Mac big enough to rip it apart? I hope not. :)

I just looked at this... reptile terrarium rock wall background and it looks pretty promising. As you mention several layers of grout and then a non toxic sealant. I haven't watched the tutorial video yet to see what sealant they used and they mention a Loctite product I haven't heard of before... Power Grab... so not sure if I can get it here although stud adhesive should work too.

I did think about some of those artificial rock climbing holds but I want something that looks more natural if I can manage it.

Last edited:
water based liquid nails is what you want for polystyrene, anything solvent based will eat into the foam... Bondall clear pondtite seems to be the popular choice of non toxic sealant, use some ultra fine sandpaper to knock of the shine.

:) Next question ? ......

Thanks a heap Jaxrtfm, I will get around to trawling through those links. Do I need to join the group to access the info? Just wondering because I only have my one snake and the level of DIY so far isn't worth the space on the back of a snailmail stamp at this stage.

Nope, you dont 'have to' join to access the info, its not a 'by invite only' type of group, everyone is welcome.
I originally asked people to 'join' so that we could show APS administration that there was sufficient interest in DIY to create a DIY section in the main forum. . . and it worked :) and the DIY Zone was born and the rest, as they say, is history.

As for only having one snake, it makes no difference, neither does having next to no DIY skills, thats where the group helps too....... quite a few of us are weekend workshoppers, have very little, if any, trade qualification, and some of us have the artistic talent of a 1 year old child, but it makes no difference, its all about pushing up your sleeves and giving it a go. No-one pretends we are good enough to build a house fit for humans...... its all just to give us something to look at rather than the standard white rectangular box. The snakes really dont give a toss what it looks like, as long as they can hide, keep warm and get fed, thats the limit of their "needs" the work we put in is for our pleasure, we are the ones that have to look at it day in, day out......

and beside which its FUN...... like being a kid and playing mud pies:lol:

Jax

Last edited:
Oh yay, another warhammer nerd :rolleyes: there are a few of 'your type' on here ! you should at least have dry brushing down to a fine art. :lol:

Yes i saw your thread, and the arrangement of stuff in there is well done, maybe you have more artistic talent than you give yourself credit for ! If you are still a little unsure on how you'll go with the whole foam/render thing, try doing a small hide that your spotted can enjoy. that way you'll get a feel for it and make something usefull at the same time. once you've got the basics the sky is the limit.
i've got friends who are giving serious consideration to 'doing a wall' under their verandah after seeing how easy and effective it can look ! !

My wife and I used to make terrain but when you haven't touched that sort of thing in 10 or so years you start to doubt if you can still do it well enough. With what I have found out tonight though I'm sure when it comes time to make the next enclosure it will come together nicely.

I'm doing a welding course later this year so I might yet go with an Urban Jungle theme... Necromunda style. ;)

My wife and I used to make terrain but when you haven't touched that sort of thing in 10 or so years you start to doubt if you can still do it well enough. With what I have found out tonight though I'm sure when it comes time to make the next enclosure it will come together nicely.

I'm doing a welding course later this year so I might yet go with an Urban Jungle theme... Necromunda style. ;)

i dont think we ever really forget how to do something, we get a little foggy about the finer technical skills involved, but i'm betting it will all come flooding back once you start. you've got the added bonus of a partner that can give you a hand.... you have the much needed 'extra pair of hands' LOL,

as for the metal Urban Jungle theme, that sounds like a great idea, make sure there are no sharp edges.... it will be sooooo quick to make, you could combine a little bit of foamwork as crumbled building, it would be easy clean with no need to seal it, or paint it......... you could be onto something there !

Hi gruni,
Mate the foam with the acrylic render with a coloring oxide mi work great, do a water proofing coat every 2 layers of render/grout etc to keep it flexible and stop it from cracking. A 3-4 mm coating will come out rock hard. Not even an ackie monitors claws will rip it up.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys it has helped me to really tink about what I want to do.

All jokes aside about the Warhammer spin offs etc, I realise how practical an urban jungle would be and if I were a teen or someone just out of uni I might well have been tempted but the truth is my wife and I both like the idea of viewing our guy in a pseudo realistic/natural environment and as such I will look at a rock wall rather than a ruin and maybe even manage a 'cave mouth' of sorts as that is what I have read is a prefered hunting location for Spotted in the wild. I am also wary of putting too much clutter in as it would make it too dificult to get him out when I need too , although I will obviously still include a good climbing branch or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back