Balsa Wood & Glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a way to permanently and reliably stick balsa wood onto glass..
I used superglue but within 3 days I could pull it off with no difficulty... anyone have any idea what I could use?
Thanks!

I think you use silicone for glass, although I'm not sure how well it works for wood? I just go into Bunnings and tell them what I want to do and they tell me what to use :D

You can buy a glue that is designed to hold rear view mirrors onto glass, it's unbelievably strong.
But your balsa will just break no matter what glue you use I would have thought?

Thanks.. the wood is only used to cover a hole, and as a rudimentary handle so it isn't under much strain... it just slipped off with the spuerglue. Magpie, do you know what that glue is called by any chance?
Thanks for the quick replies!

Aybody else feel like offering help? I'm in a need of something to cover a centipede-escape hole!

I would say just pop into your local hardware or get a girl to (they help girls more) and ask them whats best. I think liquid nails is good.

double sided tape although good luck getting the centipede off the tape

i don't think a hot glue gun would do it, that's more of an arts and crafts tool. i wold pop into a mitre 10 or a bunings they'll definately be able to give you a glue that works.

Nah go to one of those cheap shops and you should be able to get one for under $10. Handy bit of kit, non toxic and hardens within a few seconds

Glueing balsa to glass

Hey Folks, Hot glue wont stick to glass, it forms a skin and just peels away.

You could try 'contact' glue or if you are keen to use silicone make some indents into the balsa with a fork, this will increase the surface area allowing a better bond, epoxy should also work

As mentioned earlier the balsa is the weak link and if placed under too much pressure the wood will literally tear.

Good Luck,

Andrew

I would say just pop into your local hardware or get a girl to (they help girls more) and ask them whats best.

are you kidding? I'm a girl and most hardware places I've been to treat women like they're complete idiots who know nothing (even though I know more about hardware than those stupid guys & they get the *****s when you show you know what you're talking about)

If its glass, I would use silicone and get something stronger than balsa.

hot glue wont work at all for that

roughen the surfaces and use silicone or a polyurethane product such as sikaflex

are you kidding? I'm a girl and most hardware places I've been to treat women like they're complete idiots who know nothing (even though I know more about hardware than those stupid guys & they get the *****s when you show you know what you're talking about)

If its glass, I would use silicone and get something stronger than balsa.

hot glue wont work at all for that
bunnings staff are complete idiots and thats if you can even find one:rolleyes:

and mdf would be better than balsa its also very cheap:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back