Banned Topics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlippinBirdies

Reaction score
Hi team APS :)

Firstly this is by no means going to contain any discussion on offensive topics!

As a new member I have seen a few posts from older member saying certain topics are not to be discussed on APS.

Being in management I know that good people don't do anything wrong on purpose and I noticed a lot of threads today about a topic that was said to have been not to be brought up by the admins/mods of this site.

Is there or could there perhaps be a sticky of these topics for us new guys to help us to blend in and keep to the harmonious vibe of the APS community without accidentally upsetting members through ignorance?

Any info on these topics would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Well religious topics are out. There is a sticky for that but I don't like the chance having a sticky for all banned topics.

Well not an individual one for each but just a sticky that lists all the known topics. I read the site rules and I read the one for religion but there are other members saying there is more and I for one dont want to find out the hard way what they are lol

The topics you are talking about were probably removed because they clearly broke the site rules, which everyone agrees to when they join the forums.

Yeah I read the rules but I mean the specific topics like the ones the forums got spammed with today. I had no idea he wasnt to be mentioned. People said just saying his name is a no go and the site rules dont specify that so I am just confused and am trying to see if there other topics like that that old school members know and new people like myself wouldnt know. There are obviously topics to avoid like the plague but I am asking about the more subtle ones that new people wouldnt know.

Basically if you post a comment and it magically disappears via mod mod power, then you probably stepped on a banned subject (or you said something that was plain stupid).

APS is a privately owned website and it's the freedom of the owners to do what they like with it.
If you owned a website and didn't want people touching on certain subjects then you too would delete them. (for legal reasons or maybe cause you cbf dealing with the bs)

YAY.

And jack that pole is 2 feet too short ;)

Don't mention THE WAR! I did once, but I think I got away with it...

Just to put a couple of things into perspective. Our friend Ray is a very egocentric character who manages to regularly get himself into the limelight by creating controversy. Not the least of which is removing the venom glands from dangerously venomous snakes, rendering them harmless. The term he uses is venomoids. He was fined and then on ACA last week to with his venomoids. Google it or I can provide the direct link if you prefer. Consequently, he is not the most popular individual in herpetological circles. So basically, if the have a thread about Hosepipe (to borrow a mate’s name for him) it turns into a sledging fest.

Bob was referring to “free handling” which is basically handling a dangerously venomous snake the same way as you would a python, loosely and without restraint. My guess is that the owners view this as irresponsible and dangerous and therefore do not wish to see it promoted in any fashion. Therefore it is a banned topic.

Hope that fills in some gaps in the understanding.

Blue

Topics are closed or moved into the Mod forum for a number of reasons.
The Thread starts off civil and then goes down hill with name calling, insults etc.
The topic is controversial ie religion etc These type of topics can NEVER be talked about sensible without insults which is offensive to some of our members.
Members on here are from all different backgrounds, including religion and race. Some members can get very offended by some of the comments. We are much better without them (the threads not the members lol).
It is a mods discretion to take a thread in that they deem not suitable for the site.

I hope this makes things a bit more clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you are at all suprised that they pulled your into thread. I cannot remember it all but there was not much, if any straight out info on you - only snippets of your off wall sense of humour in full swing. To let that go means they need to let all intros flaunt the rules. Nothing personal, I am sure.

Along those lines, one of the issues I would like to see the mods address is to provide a clear reason why a thread was pulled. It may not be feasible to do so but I believe it would provide the sort of feedback users need to know just where the limits are.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amazed that people complain about having to stay within certain limits in their communications on this forum. It is not the front bar of the local. It is a privately owned internet site with 16 Site Rules that cover behaviour and a couple of other sets for sales etc. There are also a few unwritten guidelines, but not many.

If everyone followed even just the first site rule it would make an immense difference to the tone of the place. We have a rule where we are specifically requested not to swear or to use obvious but altered swear words. How many adhere to that? Do people think it is part of their birthright of freedom of speech to do so. Wrong! Think again!

This site does not have a lower age limit and it is first and foremost a serious hobbyist's site. It is available for use by people of all ages, religious persuasions and ethnic backgrounds. The rules are set up to maintain the integrity of the site and to look after all of its users. If you don't like the rules please don’t simply break them and then complain about being sanctioned. The appropriate action is to not use this site. If you really do want to use it, then just be responsible. It’s that simple!

Blue

I am amazed that people complain about having to stay within certain limits in their communications on this forum. It is not the front bar of the local. It is a privately owned internet site with 16 Site Rules that cover behaviour and a couple of other sets for sales etc. There are also a few unwritten guidelines, but not many.

If everyone followed even just the first site rule it would make an immense difference to the tone of the place. We have a rule where we are specifically requested not to swear or to use obvious but altered swear words. How many adhere to that? Do people think it is part of their birthright of freedom of speech to do so. Wrong! Think again!

This site does not have a lower age limit and it is first and foremost a serious hobbyist's site. It is available for use by people of all ages, religious persuasions and ethnic backgrounds. The rules are set up to maintain the integrity of the site and to look after all of its users. If you don't like the rules please don’t simply break them and then complain about being sanctioned. The appropriate action is to not use this site. If you really do want to use it, then just be responsible. It’s that simple!

Blue

couldn't agree more mike..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back