bearded dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0509phibra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
l have a pair of bearded dragons and was wondering what is the best thing to put on the bottom as l have fake grass and was thinking about putting sand can l use normal washed sand from the garden supplies thanks phil

Red Sand

Hi there,

Our bearded dragon loves the sand. We bought the red sand from a pet store. He digs down in it to stay cool.:)

I just bought URS red desert sand an love it :) its natural, looks great and they love making a mess in it. A lot of people will say they'll get impacting from it but I've never had a problem with sand, even with breeding :)

i use crushed walnut shell which you can buy from pet shops. it looks exactly like sand but it's not quite as fine and i prefer the light brown colour. apparently it carries less risk of impaction although i previously used sand and had no issues!

i use crushed walnut shell which you can buy from pet shops. it looks exactly like sand but it's not quite as fine and i prefer the light brown colour. apparently it carries less risk of impaction although i previously used sand and had no issues!

crushed walnut is the most dangerous substrate you can use for beardies, i did use it when i first started out, and almost lost a dragon to it,...lucky i got her off just in time and a week of fluids managed to flush her.

heres someone who wasnt quite so lucky,....

Bearded Dragon Gross Anatomy

normal washed sand is fine once theyre a bit older, newspaper/paper towels is best while theyre small.

crushed walnut is the most dangerous substrate you can use for beardies, i did use it when i first started out, and almost lost a dragon to it,...lucky i got her off just in time and a week of fluids managed to flush her.

heres someone who wasnt quite so lucky,....

Bearded Dragon Gross Anatomy

normal washed sand is fine once theyre a bit older, newspaper/paper towels is best while theyre small.

oh wow, really?? i've had my 2 lawson's dragons and central netted on it for 2 years. i feel like a bad lizard parent now!

All our dragons are kept on sand - definitely desert sand for our breeders but the others don't mind if it is the desert sand or washed play sand. Have had ours on the substrate for about 5-6yrs now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back