Bearded Not Growing?? :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leighroy6

Reaction score
my sister has a central bearded dragon she has had for 2 years and he is 2 years 6 months old and he hasnt grown much since she has had him? he is around 10-15cm...is this normal or should he big bigger by now?

He should be fully grown by now, so 35-45cm. The heat & uv used (or not used) is usually the cause, so would be interesting to hear what lights your sister uses, how hot the basking spot is, & how close to the uv light he can get?

Or whether or not that it was actually a Pygmy Bearded Dragon sold as a Central hatchy
Because don't Pygmy Beardies max out around 15cm ?

bearded not growing

i hav a pygmy beardie and it hasnt grown much since i got her bout 6 months ago so maybe its a pygmy but hav 10.0 uv and 75 lamp it gets bout 30-32 even in winter
so maybe thats something to check with a vet. cause i went ther the vet said she might have a parasite that stops her from growing properly

yeah it deffinitly sounds like a pygmy then, its still healthy and she uses the correct uv lighting has a very good enclosure for it so i doubt any of that would be a problem.
the worst of it is the pet store that sold it to her told her it was a central bearded dragon..

some pet stores lack alot of knowledge in the reptile department.

I have a beardy that has a 10.0 uv light temps are 30 hot end and the lil guy has barely grown since I bought him, he eats like crazy and I have pygmy's and he looks nothing like them - definately a beardy... is there such thing as a 'midget'?

i have 2 2yr old Pygmys and they are around the 20cm mark. I also own an eastern bearded Dragon and its about 6mnths old and is already around 30cm. I find that beardies go through stages of growth. There will be months when u find the Beardie may grow very little then almost overnight when the conditions are right they can grow phenominal amounts. I find having a heat mat on at night can increase the size of beardies because it gives them a heat source for the hours when basking lamps are not on. Longer periods of heat = longer periods to grow.
Hope this helps
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back