Beardie concerns.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Been a little while since I have been on here. Just wanted to raise an area of concern that I have with our beardie. He is 15-16 months old now and in our opinion doing very well. However recently he has been very stagnant, lazy and really hasn't been as active as what we might have expected from him. His appetite has been well down. Still eating but nowhere near as much. The major issue i wish to put forward is that he spends a lot of his day curled up at one end of his enclosure, not too far from his uv light which is on between approx. 7.30 a.m. and 7.30 p.m.. No other lighting is on. This light alone which is a reptile uv MVB produces great uv and a fair amount of heat.

So basically he is very inactive and would rather sleep most of the day or stay in his curled up position. Even not having a crack at mealies.

Now I urgently seek the advice of the experts on here as to what it may be??? Should we change anything??? I believe he needs his uv source on during the day.

Over to you.........and your advice/thoughts/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank u kindly....

Ashley aka reptalica.

your dragon is showing signs of brumation

i dont consider my self a expert....just a person with a passion for animals

leave U.V on & heat...no need to change temps
the outside temp of the habitat will self adjust the inside temp
you can shorten the heat hours.....summer we get 14hrs of sun
in winter we get 12

JasonL...explains it well ...just lesson the hours of heat...

mine right now are getting 8 hrs of heat....by June it will be 7hrs...end of June 6 hrs
they also get up for a walk occasionally ...have a drink...not really quick enough to catch live insects
but i provide them with a meal worm/ greens salad in a deep container...so the meal worms dont escape....if if they dont eat it the meal worms eat the greens!;)

Thanks dragon lady.....u r always a wealth of information. Yes I didn't think there was any immediate problems. He looks really healthy etc so probably no need to reach for the panic button. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back