beardie eggs....Please help asap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koubee

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have a female beardie that i only just recieved 2 weeks ago and when i first got her i thought she was rather fat , so i took her to see the local reptile guy, Alan, and he told me that she was gravid. This is something i was not prepared for, any way we moved her into an enclosure by herself and this morning she had gone crazy digging, and had dug a little burrow, so i left her be and went about what i was doing. Came home about an hour ago and the burrow is covered in. Do i lightly dig through the sand and see if there are eggs? If so HOW?
I have the vermiculite and a thermostatically controlled enclosure for the eggs to go into. I know i put them in a container in vermiculite and then into a thermo. controlled enviroment.
What else do i do and how do i get the eggs out.
Please be serious people, i wasn't expecting this.

Last edited:
All my excitment of thinking she'd laed her eggs and she hasn't, well not yet at least. She's doing a hell of a lot of digging. She's like a little bulldozer. I'm not sure but is this a sign of things to come? She is covered in her red sand, and a little grumpy to match.
Thanks to Fay for her advise.

Anyone???? How soon after she has layed the eggs do i have to remove them? Just thinking because if she lays over night it might be a few hours before i get to them.

A few hours is fine, just dig them out by hand and place them in the tub.

her digging is a sign she is getting ready, my girls dig for a couple days before laying,

i use vermiculite and water, i weigh them both and use 1 to 1, you can dig them up within the first 24 hours, temps between 26deg and 30deg, i try for about 29deg, they should hatch between 45 to 60 days,

when i see them digging i put a open fronted wooden box in and most times they lay under the box, then cover it over, lol, but i don't have deep sand in the laying tank,

i hope this helps you out a bit, just don't panic, lol, most of mine lay during the day...........

I put in damp peat moss mixes with some sand. Although she decided last time to lay underneath the box tooo. just remember when you are removing the eggs dont turn them over pick them up carefully and place them in the vermiculite the same way you picked them up. Good luck. I have my second clutch hatching at the moment and I tell you what they are btter than tv for entertainment value.

When mine are at pop time, i put in an anclosure with newspaper as substrate and moss in a a plastic tub for them to lay in. usually 7-9" of moss to let them get down and dirty.

They cant dig the newspaper but they can dig the moss so thats what they lay in....well so far anyways.

theres some threads on this site regarding cheap incubators.

Good luck

heres a good website for help.
http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/research/labs/ktosney/file/BDeggs.html

Does she look like the dragon in the photo with egg bulges out of the guts????????????​

cannot wait for this to happen to me i have beardies trying to breed,

is it normal for my male to not have actually mated her yet after about 2 days doing head bobing and biting at her neck. the male is smaller than female

They may have mated but you just havent seen them. My girl has had 2 clutches this season with a 3rd on the way and we have never seen them mate.

well still nothing, i took some pics of her you can quite clearly see the bumps in her tummy.
She looks not so fat this morning.

Attachments

• P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 61
sorry for hijacking but this ties in with the question... when an animal is gravid with visible signs of eggs, could handling of the animal deform/break/"injure" the eggs inside?...

I have removed eggs from a nest in my EWD enclosure and they hatched in about 30 days in the incubator. This indicates that they were 20 days old when I removed them. The only rule is to make sure that you DO NOT turn the egs or you will drown the embryos. Put a dot on the top with a texta if you have to and keep "this side up" so as to speak. You could probably successfully incubate beardie eggs in a bicket on yoru kitchen sink you your incubator should be fine.

And as for destroying the eggs Kwaka I would doubt it. Reptile eggs are pretty flexible things. You would need to be pretty rough with them and I think that she would certainly let you know if you were.

hey, good luck with your beardie. i have a female and would love to one day get a male. but am a bit scared about the whole incubater thing. so might pass at the moment.
your beardie is gorgeous with her bulgy eggs. bet thats a suprise when you brought her. do you mind if i ask how much you payed for her.
how much do people sell adult beardies for these days

Anyone have any idea from the photo how long it might be before she lays?
She was passed onto me. Along with her big crazy boyfriend.

i suppose excesive handling or, droping or holding too tight could quite possibly rupture or disturb the eggs, but i think gentle handling wouldnt hurt the eggs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back