Beardie HELP ASAP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedheaven

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i copied and pasted this from my other thread due to lack of views and replies..
please help.
"
icon5.gif
beardie help please

Hey ive had my 2 bearded dragons for over a year now, they are older than this though,
they are usually very very lively and at the end of 08 i separated them due to a fight which caused Milo to lose a leg.
Crash is fine and a little slower than Milo at growing but something about Milo is worrying me,
He\she is acting odd and not paying so much attention to food, not even cickets or dandelions, he\she just grew a bulge in his neck which i thought basically popped up over night but must be normal due to they both dont have nice big beards yet, but ever since then he is acting odd, i'm thinking it could just be due to shedding and growth but when i took him for a bath before he was so so so thirsty and i lifted his head out of the water and i noticed drool, it seemed as though he couldnt swallow the water and opened his mouth a few times when i put him in the cage, he has plenty of water in his cage,
i recently bought two new lights, over the net, but the exact same as i had before but they seemed a little different to me,
so i'm curious, is this the normal way a beard is supposed to grow? or what?
ill take him to the vet in a few days just for a check up and to see how his leg is travelling along but he seems very sick.
x Rowyn

beardedheavenView Public ProfileSend a private message to beardedheavenFind all posts by beardedheavenAdd beardedheaven to Your Contacts
post_old.gif
13-Feb-09, 07:50 PM
Vassallo2008
user_offline.gif

Age/Gender: 15
Male.gif

Not Quite Sure Sorry I Cant Help But For Sure Keep Them Separated for A Little While Then Introduce them back together again.

Vassallo2008View Public ProfileSend a private message to Vassallo2008Find all posts by Vassallo2008Add Vassallo2008 to Your Contacts

Original Poster #3
post_old.gif
13-Feb-09, 07:59 PM
beardedheaven
user_online.gif

anyone?

beardedheavenView Public ProfileSend a private message to beardedheavenFind all posts by beardedheavenAdd beardedheaven to Your Contacts

post_old.gif
14-Feb-09, 01:33 AM
lemonz
user_online.gif

haveyou noticed how they have to puff like sort of things on the sides of there heads? well there gone on mine for a bit and it worried me, but there back now and he just finished shedding. could be different for your circumstances though, hope i helped.

lemonzView Public ProfileSend a private message to lemonzFind all posts by lemonzAdd lemonz to Your Contacts

post_old.gif
14-Feb-09, 02:09 PM
mysnakesau
user_offline.gif

Age/Gender: 35
Female.gif

Beardies don't always drink enough water. Couple times a week it would do him good if you gave him a light misting of fresh water. This helps was they will lick the drips that run down their face.

They do have spitty mouths but I don't think you should wait a few days to see the vet. Get him in ASAP it will help put your mind at ease.

mysnakesauView Public ProfileSend a private message to mysnakesauFind all posts by mysnakesauAdd mysnakesau to Your Contacts

Original Poster #6
post_old.gif
15-Feb-09, 05:32 PM
beardedheaven
user_online.gif

thanks,
yeah i have noticed he is taking a deep breath in and opening his mouth for a second like hes trying to swallow or something, he is slightly shedding around the area, but hes not keeping his eyes open as much and has only eaten one cricket in the past five days ive tried every kind of food that he loves, anyway thanks, i will take him to the vet as soon as i can as you said but its harder with school and mum working and i cant just take him with me everywhere atm.
thanks again.

Original Poster #7
post_old.gif
Today, 03:02 PM
beardedheaven
user_online.gif

he hasnt eaten for almost a week, he wont drink or lick up and mist and he is so so so thin, i cant get him to the vet til tomorrow but im worried he will pass away by then or worse just suffer for longer : (
he is still so proud and trying to hold his head up high to show off to whoever wants to look at him
whenever i pat him he looks so sad and in pain : (
his faeces arent even the size of a pea size now : (

Really hard to advise you on anything, it obviously needs to be force fed with a needless syringe.
Are you positively sure that it won't eat anything? haven't tried gently prying open the sides of it's mouth and dripping water in with a dropper or something? That normally encourages them to chew and lick so that you can stick some food in their mouths.

and about the leg, was it seen to by a vet? it is healed? What UV is it getting? What brand of UV? calcium suppliment? Temps?
Keep them both seperate, they are solitary animals for the comment that was made by Vassallo2008.

just get him to a vet thats all you can do at this stage. theres probably nothing anybody here can do to help you at this point.

sorry i hope all goes well

As other people have stated I would not leave the vet for a few days, make an appointment as soon as possible, I had something similar happen to a hatching beardie of mine, one moment was fine, the next day I found him dead completely bloated with a swollen neck, when I checked the enclosure i found that the dodgy lamp that was used had peices of plastic falling off it, the only conclusion I could come up with was that he mistook a peice of it for food, became impacted, and passed away. Try another luke warm bath, and get some water into him, I think that him pooing would be a good sign. Definatly worth a trip to the vet.

i just rang the vet again and am dropping him in this afternoon so the vet will look at him after hours when he gets back..
yes the leg has been checked on when it happened, the vet expected it to just drop off eventually,
he has a light with both UVA UVB and heat, ive been swapping him from tank to another tank with a better setup,
thank you.

im thinking he could have done the same thing im not at home at the moment but ill check when i get home, i recently bought two new uv lights and the one in his cage failed yesterday, the cover on the lamp fixture could be flaking ill check after ive dropped him at the vet, poor baby.
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back