Beardie help. Cheers.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday all.

Id say 2 months ago i got a little beardie hatchie for free from a member on this site as she was a little difficult. I was happy with this as ive had lots of beardies and a few nut jobs who seem to love the taste of my flesh ( always the most fun ) and thought no sweat. she is a gorgeous little dragon just starting to get some colours now, but she has some problems and id like some opinions if possible???

she is about 3 months total and about 80mm long as i have to force feed her every time she eats, i have once seen her eat a cricket on her own but its just not in her nature to do so. To the point ive seen 1 or 2 sneaky crickets in her viv who started off as baby crickets and are now mature, i try to grab them if i see them as i dont want them trying to hurt her. mostly she runs away from them lol. to start with i thought she might be blind but now i know she isnt she is just a very timid dragon. She just isnt growing.

basking spot= 43
cool end= 27
feeds on small crickets
lights on at 6 off at 6
ceramic heat globe w/ 12" 5.0 repti sun fluro
lots of hides and vines
substrate is breeders choice.

The only other problem is that she wants to hide all the time. my house mate says she does come out to bask when nobody is around so i put more stuff in her viv so she would feel more secure and there is little poos around the place so i feel she comes out and gets some uv but for the mosty part she isnt heaps hyper like most hatchies. do you think she is just a timid dragon or there is something more sinister at work here??
7161579548_8c80326fd2_z.jpg

80mm long at 3 months old? Please tell me thats snout to vent :(
Has he grown since you got him or?
But it does sound like theres something wrong with this guy, dont mean to put him down but his a dud of the clutch at minimum

yeah, natural selection would have gotten her a long time ago. but she is healthy just tiny and sadly that photo was taken only about 2 weeks ago :( Im in the business of keeping animals alive and healthy so i couldnt ever bring myself the euth her.

I am not sure what is wrong with her, she looks like such a cutey.
Your temps and enclosure sound good, it sounds like you are really trying with her.
Hope she becomes better for you :)

ivé had hatchies that no matter what will just not eat crickets, it's like they are always scared of them. have you tried woodies? a change in protiens sometimes kickstarts the food response. get some small woodies or maybe gents from a bait shop

Hmpf. Does she eat vegies at all? Flowers? Fruit? Tried her on earthworms/woodies? Taken her to a vet?
Unfortunately some are just not meant to survive, and don't prosper for whatever reason... it may be that your options are pretty limited.

I agree with Maddog, I had a few hatchies back when I was breeding who would straight up refuse crickets, threw a baby woodie in there and it barley touched the ground before it was destroyed. Let us know how you go. Some are born to die, but I think with enough time and effort genetically weak dragons can flourish.

As well as upping to the 10.0, I suggest taking the little guy out for some natural sun, could be the boost he needs to kickstart his hunger!

perhaps remove some of the clutter in the tank so the crickets can't hide and make sure it is eating foods. Dust with vitamin powder 2 x a week and with calcium 5 x aweek

sorry hadn't checked this thread in a while. she is still kicking along. i will try some woodies i rekon. and some gents.

yeah when i take her in the sun( the little adelaide has had of late) she just chills and takes it in. i might try this weekend to sun her and put a few small woodies in to that tub and see how we go. ill also give the stronger light a go. i was worried that cause she as hiding maybe she wouldn't like a stronger light but ill give anything a bash and just keep an eye on her. cheers for the replies guys. ill try keep you posted.

cheers blackheaded92 she is a great looking little dragon. my friend got a pair from the same clutch and they are real lookers.

Your welcome, glad she is still going, is she any better than when you first posted the thread or about the same?
My little guys love their sun, my little fella was a bit paranoid but he loves it now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back