beardie manicures...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkstaa

Reaction score
Hey guys I have sir Freddy sitting on my shoulder at the moment and am noticing his nails are getting a bit long - and sharp might I add :lol:
I used to get my brother in law to trim all their nails but I've moved to qld...what do I use and how far back do I trim them, he's a placid lil guy like all beardies but is this a 2 person job?
hhhhhhhhhhhjiiiiiiiiiiiii (freddy's thoughts on it all lol as he climbed onto the keyboard :lol: )

i have the same question actualy, lol
hope someone comes and answers.

im curious as well, althought ive never needed it as my enclosure has a few natural bush rocks in it and its kept there nails down so there not sharp,

when i handle my big fella, Chace.. he scratches the crap outta me.

What rocks do you have? Ones that you have found orr?

I've used a pair of standard human nail clippers. Dont take more than a few mm off tho. U can also use an emery board just to round the edges.

ive just used bush rock any rock would be fine its also used as part of my basking site aswell, holds heat wel for winter not hot enough to cause burns to there tummy tripple checked that,i change for summer holds the heat a bit to well haha, rocks you find in new estate drain cause way i think its called blue chip not 100% sure just give it wash down with boiling water and it ill be right,

also make sure its not ontop of sand or what ever substrate you use news papers astro etc is ok nearly 10yrs years back when i first got some dragons i had very thick substrate approx 75mm thick stupid me sat the the rock on top and one of my dragon liked to burrow one day burrowed to much and the rock fell lucky it was only light and i happened to be there as it happened,

since then i make sure they are 110% firm on the floor with substrate not as thick and around it not under it learn from my stupid mistake that i made they look good when in there keeps there nails smaller and not as sharp

sure a nail file would be fine but as Tegstep said i couldnt imagine it would be much only milllimeters, but i could be wrong and curious what other methods or how to's there is too

i just use human nail clippers, u can see where the blood line is in the nail . i only do/trim a couple of mm off them , i do the blues the same way . even tho i have climbing rocks in the beardies enclosure they still get pretty sharp.

I'm the same, even with rocks and branches, they still get long sometimes. They seem to take quite a while to grow, so you shouldn't have to take much off them.

i just use human nail clippers, u can see where the blood line is in the nail . i only do/trim a couple of mm off them , i do the blues the same way . even tho i have climbing rocks in the beardies enclosure they still get pretty sharp.

so its kinda like trimming dogs nails you seen the blood line and obviosuly trim before there? couldnt imagine it would be much only mm,

so its kinda like trimming dogs nails you seen the blood line and obviosuly trim before there? couldnt imagine it would be much only mm,
yep sure is , and yeah only a mm or 2 is needed to be trimmed . once trimmed the nails are very shart and need to be rounded off .

Thanks guys :) I had utubed it and saw people using nail clippers but wasn't sure if it was ok, he's puppy dog tame so I'm sure he'll behave ( fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself : P )

I don't even bother trimming mine. They have lots of river rocks which are abrasive and texture paint on the walls (which they try to climb all the time). Just lucky to have a large enough enclosure to have large rocks, resin pond etc in there to wear them down. :)

Have a big enough piece of sandstone or something like that in there and their nails should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back