beardies-food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine all hate dandelions but love peas. Come spring and summer, I plan to try them on edible flowers such as nasturtiums, basil flowers, chrysanthemums, fuchsias and chives, all available from my garden.

Someone else, a couple of weeks ago, suggested sprouting sunflower seeds in tubs. I liked the idea and have them sprouted in empty fuzzy tubs and they should be ready to try by the weekend. I have sprouted them in sphagnum moss and plan to anchor the tubs into the substrate and see what happened. I thought it was a smart idea because they shouldn?t wilt the way chopped vegs do but should last until they?ve been cropped to ground level when they can just be replaced. If they like it, I?m going to try other sprouting seed like alfalfa, onion and mustard and maybe some birdseed.

Nobody here has yet mentioned Hibiscus flowers. All of my dragons love 'em!

As a side note, there is a tree hanging over the fence, from the next door neighbours' yard that is absolutely loaded with lilly pilly fruit. These, i have also been feeding to my dragons, as well as my blue tongues and shingle backs. Being very high in vitamin C, they keep their immune system pumped.

mine like sweet corn the frozen stuff for people pig out on it seem to go for yellow

Pyror said:
Nobody here has yet mentioned Hibiscus flowers. All of my dragons love 'em!

As a side note, there is a tree hanging over the fence, from the next door neighbours' yard that is absolutely loaded with lilly pilly fruit. These, i have also been feeding to my dragons, as well as my blue tongues and shingle backs. Being very high in vitamin C, they keep their immune system pumped.

Stretch mentioned hibiscus in her post.

With the lillypillys, Riberry (Syzygium leuhmanni) and Blue Lillypilly (S. oleosum) both produce tasty edible berries. The commonest lillypilly that I've seen in Sydney tends to be Acmena smithii and while the fruit can be made into jams, it tastes rather bland as it is. But birds eat them so lizards might give them a go too. But I can certainly vouch for the tastiness of the first two!

:p

Hix

They love pink hibiscus flower petals ! rose petals, dandelines . these are all safe. :D

yeah hix you reminded be talking of berries theres a commonly groun hedge here in qlg called brazilian cherry with an edible fruit ive it growing in my lard all my shinks and beardeds love eating it has a red soft flesh they like to eat it as well

very good instar correct if you were in bris could give seeds another tree what is sub tropical i have growing they love is acerola [malpighia glabra this they say has between 20 to50 more times the vc than an orange ive recipes for humans for both these edible fruits if any one wants them

had you heard of the acerola?? cant grow it if you have frosts my whole yards full of exotic subtropical fruit trees used to do that before herps but the herps took over :D

Does anybody knows anything about jade plants or money trees i think there scientific name is "portulacaria afra aurea.. But there are also jade plants with a scientific name of "crassula argentea" i have seen info that say they are great for beardie enclosures but reading this post it says somewhere that jade plants are toxic... so any info on the subject would be great. Cheers.
Take care. Have fun.
Megan.

dont know if jades toxic but thres lots of native grasses nurseys sell that you can use and they can eat them as well

yeah i plan to put grasses and other stuff in there for them to eat but i have some nice big jade plants and i've seen pics of dragons basking on them so i thought they might like them.... i guess i'll just have to keep searchin... thanx anyway longtom :)
Take care, Have fun.
Megan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back