Beardy Burrows

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer

Reaction score
We have our Barbata out the back in an aviary type enclosure, the base is a gravelly sand. Yesterday I thought I'd lost one but MOTH dug where it looked like they had been digging and found it. It was fine. Today, I couldn't find two of em and we found one buried in the same place but gave up digging for the other. I know the burrowing is normal but do they bury themselves on purpose? and can they get themselves out when they do?

My female is burrowing heaps at the moment. All you hear at night is ther gravel being tossed around as she burrows under everything

Yeah Bouncer, i wouldnt panic mate; with the drop in temp's; for some, it's only natural behaviour.....so long as theres a floor in the enclosure you shouldnt have a problem......it probably would be best to dig them up every few days if you dont see them; just to cheak they dont get a cold or anything....

tape some metal to them and buy a metal detector! proabably a bad idea but you could always have a vet stick a small piece of metal under the skin, they stick micro chips there why not a small bit of metal?

probably isn't viable though

andrew

Bouncer, it is normal behaviour for them. They will do this and lay fairly dormant for the winter cooling period. Don't be surprised if you hardly see them at all unless you get a very hot day, they may come out then but not always. When things start to warm up again they will come out and you need to offer them heaps of food, as much as they can eat. This will help them start in the process of making you some little babies. :D:D:D

WEEEEEEEEE lol. They're lookin great now Huggy. I'll have to get down there and take some more pics for ya.
I was more worried about the fact that they are completely buried. How the heck do they breathe?

They seem to be almost comatosed, so there breathing would be minimal. Even my centrals bury themselves in there enclosures inside, I never disturb them and I have never had any probs. They just have a UV fluoro on during the day and thats it. When they warm up all they want to do is eat and shag....LOL

Would love to see some more pics. Glad they are all doing so well and I am glad they went to a good home. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back