Beardy Spring/Summer Temps help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoga

Reaction score
In Melbourne we've started to get some warmer temps and my cool end of my enclosure, (which was perfect for the cooler months, 18* to 22*) is now getting up to 28*.

Is my best option now to reduce the basking lamp from a 75 watt to a 60 watt or smaller, or can I turn off the basking lamp but then I would no longer have a "bright" light to stop eye damage caused by having the UV light on but no bright basking light.

I now won't need my red light on at night, that's for sure.

My beardy is in the garage where in winter it gets to 6* but today it's up around the 30* mark therefore affecting the tank temps.

I don't use a thermo.

Yeah I probably should, but the thermo would mean that the basking light is off once the enclosure reaches the set temp, correct? Therefore is it OK to have the basking light off when the temp reaches the correct temp and not have to worry about the effect on the eyes from the UV?

Yeah I probably should, but the thermo would mean that the basking light is off once the enclosure reaches the set temp, correct?

When its reached max temp, yes, but its not going to be that often, and if you use a dimming thermostat it will just dim the bulb gradually rather then turn it on and off. Will increase the life of your bulbs too.

Was wondering the same thing being in north qld :? (aircon on timer anyone?:)) Tank should be set up in two weeks, so guess i will wait and see what the temps are then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back