beardy's outside?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfg23

Reaction score
Hey there, i have won a 4ft glass tank off ebay for dirt cheap so i intent to get some beardys to put in the tank.

now my problem is i still live at home with my parents:oops: and dont have any room to put a tank inside, now there is plenty of room right outside the back door.
can i completely setup the tank outside without any harm? i imagine temperature during winter would be a problem but during the summer it would be ideal and i much prefer the idea of the dragons getting a view of outside as thats what they would see in the wild.
another thing i considered but was unsure about was other animals on the outside of the tank. like birds and cats or whatever wanted to look at or get to the dragons.

No a glass tank isnt really suitable, unless it doesnt get in the sun and has suitable heating provided. If you have them outside you need to make a secure lid so that birds, cats, rats and snakes cant get in.

Ditch your parents out of thier room and have a room full of the blighters, that sucks I think thay may be better in an aivary type setup then a glass tank as this may cook them..

its under shade and of course suitable heating would be required, and the tank will be completely sealed (apart from vents)

also rats and snakes are not a problem in my area.

i will probably make a 3 sided foam background too so there will be plenty of insulation.

what state do you live? you could knock some of the panes out and replace them with a medium that is better insulated?

south australia.
northern suburbs of adelaide. golden grove etc.

it gets pretty damn cold here in the winter, but summer and most other months are fine weather. keeping in mind overnight i will probably control temperatures with a heat mat as well as the lamp during the day.

u can keep them out doors in a proper set up enclosure in adelaide,easterns more so,with keeping them out doors its harder to have control of temps,also thats small to be outdoors,you have to think of cold draughts ect,power failures plus alot of other things,another thing,u said heating it over winter,u need to be careful doing that,as being outdoors they will pick up on the seasons and even with heat provided,may try to brumate,which if kept warm,wont shut them down so they lose condition and perish,lots of things to consider,i agree partly with snake pimp,but if u want to keep them out side,get a bigger cage,but do your homework first

im not selling the tank as i purchased it for dirt cheap with a timber stand.
thanks for the advice Richard. i wont put them outside.
i am getting a house of my own in less than 6 months hopefully anyway, and i plan to make massive enclosures for dragons and monitors.
i just wanted something now :(

snake pimp. i already said there is no more room inside. and i dont know how making a smaller tank than the one i have is more suitable.

I think snake pimp is saying to get a enclosure that is not glass. Hence being more suitable.

You wont need a 4 foot enclosure if you're starting with a hatchie. Make space in your room for a 2 foot enclosure, that will keep you going for 6months or so and just keep the fishtank outside until you can move out of home and take it with you.
Other than that, wait until you move out until you get ya dragons.....

ah ok yeah the reason the tank is not inside is because there is no room. so a wooden enclosure of the same size would not solve the problem.

yeah i think i might wait until i move out, and until then focus on my frogs.
once i move out im going to go nuts with the reptiles getting this that and the other.
i want dragons/monitors/snakes, everything really.
Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back