beginner scorpion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
join the australian invert forum. you will find all the info you need on aussie scorpions.
the green scorpion sells alot and has care sheets on what they have available, enjoy

The Green Scorpion

Australian Invertebrate Forum - Forum - as said join this forum,

the best 2 starters and the most commonly kept are the black rock scorpion - urodacus manicatus or a flinders range scorpion - urodacus elongatus
black rock scorpions get up to 5cm and are very placid while flinders range get up to 12cm ( one of australias biggest ) and are also placid
heres a pic of each of mine to show you :)
1st pic - flinders range
2nd pic - black rock

Attachments

• SDC14835.JPG
    SDC14835.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 251
  • SDC14315.JPG
    SDC14315.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 236
No Australian scorpions are placid - not like those giants in the US.. anyone of them can sting or pinch and will be stressed by handling, you can't just walk around holding them.

Make sure you join the Australian Invert Forum and do plenty of reading as no scorpions are easy to keep - people think they are but then they die in a few months.

Cheers

yea it`s true it stresses them but i have scorpions that walk out of there cage so i put me hand out and the crawl on

some species are more aggresive while most are more placid .... thats why i suggested those 2 species for him ..... i wasnt going to suggets a yaschenskoi or something like that ...... i handle all my scorpions with no problem. You have to trust them and be sensible, if you know your scorpion is aggressie dont handle it .... its simple

The Invert forum is a great place to start. As suggested, Flinders Ranges Scorpions or Black Rock Scorpions would be an ideal choice to begin with, and both can be handled and are relatively placid.
I have Southern Black Rock Scorpions available for sale, both adults and babies if interested.

hey yea i have rainforest scorpions for sale that let u pat them i wouldn`t recomend doing it lol i have done it but don`t do it unless i have to do it witch there no reason y u have to pat a scorpon lol and i have babie black rock for sale as well but im looking for adults

hey yea i have rainforest scorpions for sale that let u pat them i wouldn`t recomend doing it lol i have done it but don`t do it unless i have to do it witch there no reason y u have to pat a scorpon lol and i have babie black rock for sale as well but im looking for adults

actually i should of mentioned lio's ( rainforst scorpions ) they are so most placid out of all aussie scorps, and rarely sting - well just about never sting. They use their claws to grab prey thats why they are so big, heres a few pics of mine and their setup ... ( these are liocheles caudicula )

Attachments

• SDC15186.JPG
    SDC15186.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 168
  • SDC15158.jpg
    SDC15158.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 188
  • SDC15185.JPG
    SDC15185.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 148
  • SDC15163.jpg
    SDC15163.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 148
  • SDC15179.JPG
    SDC15179.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 132
yeah lio's are by far the most placid and are also pretty much the easiest to care for. I have never been stung by a lio and hold them/move them round with my hands often. If you like the look then go for them ;) I disagree with the comment above that scorpions are hard to keep.... Urodacus yashenkoi and a couple of the much rarer species are the only ones you would maybe have trouble with. The vast majority are very easy.

Join the AIF and find out mate, or go on the Green Scorpion website that somebody posted further up and read the care sheet. You'll find out a lot more doing your own research and it certainly isn't hard. It's the best bit about getting a new critter.

EDIT:

U. elongatus care sheet
http://www.thegreenscorpion.com.au/showcon.toy?cid=58633

How to make a false bottom
http://www.inverts.com.au/showthread.php?14103-How-To-Make-a-False-Bottom-Set-Up

There you go the work is done for you, now go and READ!

yea mate i have heaps of lio`s thats y im selling some but there kool as easy to look after and every thing like that

As Phil said check those care sheets out. False bottom isn't a necessity with this species though. I just spray one end of the enclosure and have ventilation at the other. Barring yashenkoi's pretty much all species can be kept like this. Kind of like reptiles where you have a warm and a cool end so that they can choose the temperature, but with humidity.

Hmm wouldn't let me edit my post. Anyway meant to say yashenkoi and similar urodacus species (armatus etc). They are the loose sand deep burrowers. Stay away from them and you will be fine keeping wise.

i would love to get some scorpions, pedes and Ts but i wouldnt know where to start though now i know. what are the recommended beginner Ts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back