beginner scorpion

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would love to get some scorpions, pedes and Ts but i wouldnt know where to start though now i know. what are the recommended beginner Ts?

They are all pretty easy though I would recommend a Phlogius species for a beginner. This has nothing to do with them being easier to keep or anything though. I recommend these as they grow fast, grow big and are more active (outside their burrow) then some of the other species. If it's your first and only tarantula you are going to want these attributes as it will make keeping/observing more interesting for you.

oh awesome thanks. i was looking at the sarinas, they are beautiful. what would you recommend as the 'perfect' housing for a sarina or goliath?

oh awesome thanks. i was looking at the sarinas, they are beautiful. what would you recommend as the 'perfect' housing for a sarina or goliath?

I actually keep mine using a bit of a controversial method. It works very well but I am still perfecting it so I wont recommend it. What is usually recommended though is the following:

Small tank, about 30cm cubed for a large mature female is plenty. Then fill it at least 10cm (preferably deeper) with moist, not wet coco peat or peat moss (if you squeeze it in your hand no water should squeeze out). Being in Victoria you may also choose to use a heat cord/thermostat to keep the temp up but its not necessary if your house temp stays above 10 degrees. Ventilation will depend on your lid design but you do not need a heap of it, if you get to much condensation on the side then add more :p Keep in mind they can climb glass and are strong so the standard tank top is no good.

That is pretty much it. I also add half a terracotta pot that has been cut down the middle like you would for small herps facing forward in the middle of the tank. This just ensures all my t's burrows face forward in the middle of the tank for viewing and easy access.

If you are after more info head over to Australian Invertebrate Forum - Forum and we will help you out :)
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back