Betta/Siamese Fighting Fish water treatments?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah my tap water is around 7.6 and when i do a water change the dechlorinated tap water balances out the water in the tank that gets more acidic as it gets dirty and it saves me having to muck about with the chemicals.

Post pics of your setup when your done, its going to look awesome! I'll try and find some of mine that I have had over the years to show you. Anything else you need to know as you go, just ask but I reckon you will be fine.

thanks again :)
I will put up more pics as soon as I take them!!! I am very excited.

So am I now darn you. Im thinking of a way I can fit a 6th fish tank into my house so I can get another betta. They are one of my all time favourite fish! I may just have to live vicariously through your pictures for now tho. Hehehe

hahaha yes yes I know that story too well.
I have my 2 reptile enclosures, my reptile rack and my fish tank all in my room and my computer down the end. I wish I could fit more in :) Hope to get some more in the future though and put them in the living areas.
They are all such amazing animals to watch!!

I have a spider a snake and two fish tanks in my room, a 2ft fish tank in the dining area and another small fish tank in the front sun room area. Thats just the things that live in tanks, that dont count mum's fish tank, the bird cages and the dog and cats. I can't help myself though, there is always room for one more enclosure. Specially if it's a Betta tank. They are super cool.

Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 9.36.45 PM.jpgScreen shot 2011-07-07 at 9.36.54 PM.jpgI just put a few live plants in there and an ornament. Hopefully the water will settle back down and I will be ready to put my fishy in on the weekend. The ph is currently 7.2 and the temp is on 26. Is there anything else I should be doing???

cheers mate

Does the water look a bit white and hazy to some?

Would any1 know of a shop or breeder that sells nice betta splendens? Most of the ones i see at pet shops are lifeless and all shrivelled and in tiny little displays. In my parents place we used to have a really beautiful one with healthy looking fins. Anywhere around the Wollongong Sydney region would be fine

Last edited:
Yay! Pictures! It looks fantastic dude! As for the white and hazy, that would be you cycle starting. Cloudy means ammonia in the tank. You will need to keep a close eye on him once you get him and do pretty regular water changes (maybe even 1/3 of the tank twice weekly) to ensure he doesnt get too hurt by the ammonia. You can back this off once the cycle has finished. As far as the pet shops, they all keep thier fish like that hey. Just get one that has nice fins that are intact and no visible odd spots on its body. You dont really have to worry bout quarantine cause he has the tank to himself but you will probably find that he will perk up alot once you put him in the tank. The lifeless and shrivelled has alot to do with the tiny space they have I think.

Thanks a heap Tildy. I just did a 1/3 water change. Hope to get my fishy on the weekend sometime. I was wondering if it is ok to also purchase one of those little flathead looking algae eating fish for the bottom of the tank. I really love those little guys.

They are pretty cute but I would find out thier proper name (scientific and common) and google them to make sure that they dont get too big. I know alot of algae eaters do. Also, you will want to know thier water requirements and make sure they match up with your Betta. I dont have alot of experience with them so as with anything new, I recommend research. And don't believe people when they tell you that fish grow to the size of the tank. Some fish will have stunted growth in a smaller tank but it shortens thier lifespan as well.

Would any1 know of a newly opened aquarium shop in Sydney? I was told one had opened and it was very very good!! I know it's a broad question but was very interested to see where it was!

Just a quick update and a few iphone pics. Everything is going great with my siamese and 2 little catfish. I have been changing the water 2 times a week for the first 2 weeks and have had to modify my gravel cleaner so it can work properly. Will be taking some better photos soon. Hope you all like my fish.

some more pics :)

Attachments

• IMGP0130.jpg
    IMGP0130.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP0113.jpg
    IMGP0113.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen shot 2011-07-31 at 12.41.51 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-31 at 12.41.51 AM.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen shot 2011-07-31 at 12.41.40 AM.jpg