Betta/Siamese Fighting Fish water treatments?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to add in that bristlenoses get fairly big and aren't really suited to a smaller tank.
When doing water changes may i suggest that you get a small plastic tub (the ones on wheels) and use a water ager and a small heater in it. Set this up the day before you plan on doing your water change. That way there will be less stress when you change the water because it will be around the same temp.
Also be careful with over-feeding them, they are quite gutsy fish and will give you 'the look' for more food lol. I used to feed mine 3 small pellets a day after learning the hard way about over-feeding (i had one that ate about 6 or so pellets and regurgitated the whole lot afterwards).
YYou also need to be very careful of what typs of filter you use because if it is quite strong it could suck your fish's tail into it and it will end up dying. The best way i kept mine was in a vase/jar or in a 3 bay tank i bought with a 25W heater in the middle section set quite low (mainly used in winter but they were in the loungeroom with gas heating so it didn't need to be set at a higher temp) and it heated all 3 sections. The other option you could use is a mini heater, they look sort of like reptile heat mats but you use them inside the tank and they would take up way less room than a glass heater.
They are quite hardy and a great fish to keep IMO and there are so many colours and tail styles to choose from in the males. Some females also have nice colour these days.
Good luck and be sure to post a pic when you get him/them (can be addictive) :)

Just dont run hot water out of for tap for them unless you are 100% sure you dont have copper pipes. Copper can be deadly to fish and the hot water leeches it out of the pipes. Hehehe, we overwhelming you yet?

thanks heaps for all that great information!!!!!

I ended up with an aqua one basic kit. It is 30L and has a light and under gravel filter. Not sure if the filter will be any good coz it looks cheap but time will tell. Do you all think it will be sufficient for a single betta splenden???
Thanks a heap :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-26 at 6.51.20 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-26 at 6.51.20 PM.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 29
Great choice Adam ;) Just be carefull of the intake as their tails are so big sometimes they can wrap around the intake hose and get stuck. I used to put a pre filter sponge on the intake to stop this happening....excited to see the next instalment now ;)

Ignore that,..just saw it has a under gravel filter by the looks of it.

If you can try and put the powerhead at the top of the tank on the pipe that runs down to the under gravel filter.

Last edited:
thanks mate!!
I will try and bring the powerhead up a bit. Cant wait to get some water in it and run it in for a few days before bringing in a little fishy.

I would love to get a live plant for the tank. I hear they are great for the water. Is there any type of aquarium plants that are best suited to the bettas? I was thinking something with big leaves so he can hide.

Every now and again for picture purposes you can pop a mirror to the side of the tank to see him strutting around fanning his fins up against the glass. Thinking another male is in range,..don't do it to often as it does stress the fishy ;)

Hope to get the tank up and running on thursday night and then get a fish on saturday!! can any1 suggest a good place to get bettas within an hours drive of wollongong?

Live plants are awesome but come with thier own set of fun and wont be as good with an undergravel filter since they eat all the stuff that burys in the gravel but the filter is sucking all that out. If u want one try a Java fern strapped to a bit of driftwood. Hardy and not sunk in the gravel. Get lots of fake plants as well. They love playing in the decorations and it just plain looks better Imo. Also, a good idea is a timer for the light if the light has a separate plug to the rest. Fish need a fairly normal day/night cycle and too much light will make the algae grow. All 4 of my tanks are on timers and I tell u what, its great peace of mind if you ever have to go anywhere and leave ur fish in the care of someone else knowing that at least that is taken care of. See if you can pick up a thermometer as well, ive hear horror stories of heaters going spazzy and killing the fish so a thermometer may help with that. None of my heaters have (touch wood) but I feel safer if I can check the temp every now and then and know its still good.

That tank you have chosen looks fantastic for what you want! Im sure you will have a very enjoyable set-up in no time.

Nice tank. Make sure you cycle it. Just do a quick google search on the nitrogen cycle. UGF (under gravel filters) aren't the best filter. If you can get it, a sponge filter would be better. Both of by bettas are in a 20L tank each and one has a heavily planted tank and the others is mostly driftwood. Make sure you get some live plants. The fighters love them and the plants improve the water quality. I second getting a bottle of Prime.

Screen shot 2011-07-03 at 8.01.55 PM.jpgthanks for the info Nakerz.
i will try and get a sponge filter. What sort would you suggest and what are they worth? Why would you think that UGF are not a good choice?.
I will try and find that Prime brand that you are all speaking of. I just purchased a cheapish aqua one betta conditioner. Is this a bad choice or will it be ok untill the bottle is finished. It is only a 50ml.
Here is the current setup.
Going to get live plants and a structure mid week then check the ph again on saturday then get my fish.
Does this plan sound reasonable?

Your plan sounds completely reasonable.

I personally dont like undergravel filters because 1) they make having live plants extra difficult. 2) there isnt as much surface area for the bacteria to grow on so this in my mind makes them less efficient. I'm not sure how much you know about the nitrogen cycle but I'll give you a run down in case (if you already know I apologise). When fish produce waste it is pretty much straight ammonia. This can kill them easily. The first type of bacteria then starts to grow in the filter which eats the ammonia and excretes Nitrites which are also pretty toxic. Then the second type of bacteria starts to grow which eats the Nitrites and converts them to Nitrates which are much less toxic. When this cycle is starting up you will see the Ammonia grow till it spikes and starts to fall, when the Ammonia is almost at its peak you will see the Nitrites increase till they too spike and decrease. As the Nitrites are almost at thier peak you will see the Nitrates start to rise. When the cycle is complete you will have a reading of Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0 and Nitrates: anywhere from 20 ppm upwards I think. In a tank that runs well and is not overstocked you do the water changes to keep the Nitrates down. Filter media such as sponges or ceramic noodles have a much greater surface area on which the bacteria can grown meaning the filter will be able to cope with alot more waste. You can try getting ceramic substrate to put under your pebbles on top of the filter plate and that may give your bacteria more surface area to grow on. You will still have trouble with your live plants though.

As for the water conditioner, I wouldn't stress, everyone has thier favourite brands and some have things in them that will help fortify a stressed fish but so long as it takes out the chlorine and chloramines then its doing its job and it will be fine. I use the cheap stuff all the time (with 5 fish tanks in the house we use too much to get fancy). Just out of curiosity, what is the pH of your tap water?

Hey there Tildy thanks again for the help. So basically the bigger the sponge the more "dirt" it can hold therefore longer nitrate cycles and water changes.
Not sure what the pH is yet but i have a drop kit and will aim at getting it to 7.0
I know leafy plants are great for the water so i will be stacking them in the tank.
Would 1 fighting fish really cause that much nitrate that a under tank filter can't handle? I just feel bad if i have to go and buy another filter when it was meant to come with a proper one suitable for the tank. I guess these kits aren't always the best for beginners.

cbf reading the whole thread. has fightingfish.com.au been mentioned along with ausaqua.net? they are great for basic information for everything from the hobby keeper to the crazy fish lady round the corner :) have fun and good luck!

make sure you look for plants that are okay in low light and oxygen levels like screw val, bananna lillies, java moss and duck weed. they are all great for fight tanks. bananna lillies and java moss provide the best 'bed' for them to sleep in. i love watching my little ones curl up in the lily leaves when they're just unfurling.

oh also, make sure you dont get a filter that is too powerful for your fish. with their big fins they can get blown around. remember they are designed to live in tiny stagnant ponds with little water circulation, we have just added masses of finnage and an attitude :)

Yeah, you dont really have to get a new filter. I just personally dont like them but others in the fishkeeping hobby do so each to thier own. It's not the dirt so much as space for the bacteria to grow. The cycle itself (the growing of the bacteria) takes on average one month and only happens once unless you put heaps more fish in all at once. After that you shouldn't have Ammonia or Nitrate readings in your tank at all. Having just one fish he wont generate so much waste that he will overload the filter. If you are worried, go the the pet shop and look for ceramic substrate which basically looks like little rough whitish rocks. Spread a layer between your pebbles and your filter plate and this will provide the bacteria with more than enough surface area. Change between 30% - 50% of the water weekly unless his fins start looking like they are getting raggy or shrinking in which case change that ammount more often. Never all the water or you will upset the cycle.

With the pH, try not to muck about with it too much. Fighter fish actually prefer a slightly alkaline (7.2 - 7.4) water and most tap water is fairly alkaline. If you test your tap water and it is alkaline you will find that just doing the water changes will balance your pH without mucking about with it. pH changes will kill your fish faster than an incorrect one. If you can, get Java fern and strap it to a bit of driftwood (if u find it you will need to boil it heaps to get salt and bugs out) or buy one strapped to wood. Its one of the hardiest plants I know hey and it wont get sucked into your filter if its strapped to wood. Plants will eat the nitrogen wastes in your water which is why they are good but if they start dying pull the dead bits out as you find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont be sucked in to the con that fighter fish should be kept in tiny bowls, this is cruel, they are very active fish when kept in the propper tank (size,filter,heater)and VERY curiouse/inquisitive. out of all my fish in the tank my female fighter is the only fish that i can see a definite personality in. they are amazing fish! :). you can keep them with other fish but the males long flowing fins seem to look delishous to some other fish lol, so be obsevent and prepared to seperate some fish. any number of females can be kept with males, but no more than one male per tank. they will fight to the death. good luck! hope this helps

has aquabid been mentioned? be warned, it is very addictive...

dont be sucked in to the con that fighter fish should be kept in tiny bowls, this is cruel.
You can keep them in large tanks and you can also keep them in small bowls and it is not cruel, you obviously havnt seen how they live in the wild and how they are bred. If we all had that mentality then we should all throw our reptile rack systems in the bin and have all our animals free range.

When you see the difference in personality and vitality between a larger tank and a small bowl you see just how much it affects them. They don't do anything in a small bowl but sit on the bottom, In a larger space they play and search thier owner out and explore their environment. It makes a surprisingly big difference. In the wild thier ponds are often still and shallow but are also often quite wide covering quite a bit of ground space which makes them alot bigger than your average tiny bowl. I had mine in a tank that is pretty much the same as the tank Grogshla has bought for his and he loved it! He has made a good choice for his fish. In some cases bigger is better.

thanks Tildy. I personally wouldn't go any smaller than a 30L. I always like room for my animals.
The water was slightly alkaline about 7.6 so i put a few drops to bring it back down to 7.2 Im going to put the plants in on Thursday and then put the fish in on saturday if i find a nice one hehe.
Thanks to all of you for all the great information.
I will update the thread with more pics on thursday. If any1 has any betta setups please feel free to share and post up a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back