Blind Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sayrahsayrah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys.

Newbie here. So I apologise if I ask a stupid question (or 10).

Just wanted to know what sort of tank setup would be needed for a blind (both eyes are no longer in "working order") Gecko, in regards to eating habits etc?

Any other suggestions in regards to care and so on would be highly appreciated!

This is all pretty new to me, and I don't want to make life any harder for him, so thanks in advance. :)

If you're a 'newbie' you should start with a healthy gecko.

Even experienced keepers would have a hard time getting a blind lizard to eat, I remember a thread on here earlier about a bearded dragon with no eyes.

Yeah, I know.

But it just came into my hands and well, I can't just throw him to the curb... :(

G'day Sayrah,

As geckos hunt using their highly sensitive eyesight, I'd say your blind gecko has a very limited lifespan unfortunately...

Yeah, I know.

But it just came into my hands and well, I can't just throw him to the curb... :(

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/blind-beardie-124726 This might help you a bit, especially if it wont eat.

If you don't have an enclosure set up for him, search for a caresheet in Google, or search on here for gecko enclosures.

What type of gecko is it? Any photos?

A lot of geckos require special humidity and heating and the like, if you don't have an enclosure set up I'd get on that as quick as possible.

Thanks for your help guys. Will put a pic up in about 1/2 an hour.

We're pretty sure it's a Tree Dtella.

So any handy hints would be appreciated.

Picking up the enclosure soon and grabbing some munchies for him tomorrow morning.

A blind gecko...... Chances of survival don't sound too good to me. How will u get him to feed? As stated earlier they hunt using vision, not sense of smell like other lizards. Unfortunately I wouldn't hold much hope for him.

There he is...

We think he may have some kind of vision, after watching him for the last couple of hours, but nothing all that spectacular. It really is hard to tell, to be honest how much he can/can't see. :(

G'day Sayrah,

What makes you think the gecko can't see? From that photo, its eye seems OK.

I have some goannas that could solve the problem... That said some in the reptile 'hobby' consider animals that cant function properly highly as desirable specimens and charge high prices for them.

It really comes down to your own personal ethics and if you want to drag out the suffering of an animal for your pleasure or just put an end to something that is suffering from something that would cause it to die quickly or maybe slowly starve to death in the wild.

Throw in a cricket and see if the gecko can pursue it. If it takes notice but cant catch it, throw in a cricket with one back leg.

I think it's admirable that you're trying to save it.

just try to do an eye test and if it doesent come out succesful then he will have to be euthinised

Looks to have had a shedding problem resulting in eye damage, I've seen a similar thing in a bynoes gecko. It wont be in any pain and why not keep it alive if you are willing to put the time into it. If it wont hunt for food on it's own the best way is to hold it and gently rub food items against its mouth using a pair of forceps. It should bite the food defensively and then swallow it once it works out what it is. With time it will get used to the routine of being assist feed and it will become a quicker process.

Thanks so much for the input guys! :D

I don't believe it is suffering, it's eyes seem to have been that way for a while and it's quite alert and active. I guess he's just wondering what the hell he is looking at! LOL

I've got no problem taking care of him and feeding him - he's too cute, bung eyes and all (plus, he likes to sit on my finger awwww).

We've chucked some crickets in with him and are hoping for the best. But, I will be trying to feed him later. Fingers crossed, he takes to it eventually.

Thanks once again for the help, I really do appreciate it. xxxx

I think he's eating, Geckoman - the crickets keep magically disappearing and he's still quite active. Just keeping an eye on him anyway, to make sure.

There is one thing I have to ask - he keeps opening and closing his mouth and just before he does he usually does this little jerk action with his head, he doesn't make any noise when doing it... is that normal? Is he trying to communicate with others of his species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back