Blind Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mummabear

Reaction score
Was just sweeping my floor and saw what i thought was a worm. Though how strange how did that get inside. Looking closer i realised it was a little blind snake. It's fairly small 6cm long. So just a baby i presume. Does anyone know much about these creatures? Not sure where to let him go as it is pouring rain here at the moment? It's quite amazing to watch such a small snake. Any info appreciated. The photo was the best i could do.

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 242
Jesus he's tiny!
They don't mind the rain although at the rate it's coming down up there at the moment, would take much for him to drown on the surface.
Do you have a small pot plant outside under cover he can camp out in until it stops raining? for a few minutes?

i think there is so much to be known about blind snakes, but it's hard to find out cuz they are pretty secretive.

Have read that after a heavy rain,blind snakes may leave their burrows,come up on the ground, sometimes even climb into trees, correct me if i'm wrong though.

Brisbane area is known to have about 5 species i think. Don't know the exact names except for one, Ramphotyphlops affinis

So did u put it back in your garden?

I let him go this morning. There is a break in the rain so off to the garden he went.:)

I have them in my garden here in brisbane in late October. There are amazing little creatures. They looked very similar to that one. There were two in the dirty I was weeding, Im not sure if I disturbed them breeding as they were twisted around each other, but I startled them and the took off pretty quick. Good burrowers.

Mummabear,
That one is R. brahminus, the flowerpot snake, an exotic species which is invasive in northern Australia, and is turning up more and more in the wet tropics. If you find another one similar, take it to the museum.

Have read that after a heavy rain,blind snakes may leave their burrows,come up on the ground, sometimes even climb into trees, correct me if i'm wrong

Iv found a blind snake around 20ft high in a small tallowwood around 3 days after heavy rain!!

Hard work tree climbing-harder maybe for blind snakes. I've had a couple of arborist mates and they taught me to climb, It's one of the hardest workouts you can do I reckon! (Note to self, don't pick an e-fight with Farma :))

Hahahaha No im only small and light! I think thats why im good at it ;)
the tree was young and healthy around 14in diameter at the base with no dead limbs or hollows, the snake was small like the one in the previous pic and weaving its way through the thick fury bark in the first fork of the tree! my first thought was a bird had droped it there!

actually looking at that pic again the one I found would have been double the size of that one

Thanks for the info Serpentes. I feel a bit bad now letting him go in the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back