blind snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes_alive

Reaction score
Hi guy's,
Just wondering if any of you know much about blind snakes, what they eat etc. Are there any breeders out there? Any info you can share would be great. Thanks

why you would want these ugly smelly things is beond me but no 1 has them they eat ands and theyre larve/eggs

They spend 99.9% of their time in the dark under stuff and will get out of the teeniest crack

Hey I've seen some blind snakes out n about in the wild n I think they're great!! Aren't they meant to be kinda rare?

thanks for your comments. I see plenty of info about all sorts of snakes but never see any info on these guys. I've seen them in books, that's about it, do they really smell?

None of the wild ones I've seen have smelt. But just a question for those in the know about these snakes, the first I ever held (a friend found it in their low house and thought it was a venomous snake and this thing was so tiny!), seemed to die in my hands after being handled for about 1/2 n hour. Is this bcos it was stressed or do they need to be kept moist while handling. Cos I've noticed their skin is quite different from ya normal snakes. Since that time (I was rather upset too!) I've kept my hands moist when handling them and hav'nt had a problem. Still would like to know tho!

So, does any1 know any info bout these snakes? Would love to hear about them.

Yes, received this email from a freind............

Foxysnake, blindsnakes are not rare and are actually quite common under rocks. Their skin is smooth to avoid being bitten/stung by ants while attacking the larvae in which are a major food item. They do not require a moist environment, hence the fact that most species live in arid regions and wetting ur hands is probably going to do more damage. They do infact release a strong foul smelling odour if disturbed, this is a defence mechanism. Please read up on species.

the only reason i can think of that anyone would want blind snakes would be to feed bandy bandy's.

if i could get a breeding colony of blind snakes going i'd do it. but it'd be illegal feeding out native reptiles wouldnt it?

funy how both species can be kept on the nsw rk licence

Instar, I took the time to look up blind snakes. There is some species that are rare, and they are not found commonly where I live. But each 2 their own, I think they're kinda cute but thats not saying that I'd own them!!

They are not commonly found as they live in ant nests and under the ground,but are not rare or endangered. The musk you quite badly and it really does stink for the rest of the day, you cannot wash it off. They eat ant eggs, quite a hard food source to obtain I'd think. Some get quite big, I've seen a nigrescens that would have been near on 3'.

Actually the Interior Blind Snake is on the endangered species listing.Below is info from the NSW Parks and Wildlife site.

"4. The threats to Ramphotyphlops endoterus are unknown, although habitat degradation by feral goats may impact on the species. The small size of this population also makes it vulnerable to genetic introgression and one-off catastrophic events.

5. In view of 2, 3 & 4 above the Scientific Committee is of the opinion that the blind snake Ramphotyphlops endoterus is likely to become extinct in nature in NSW unless the circumstances and factors threatening it survival cease to operate."

The first herp i ever kept was a blind snake i found while digging in my grandmothers garden, i was very young at the time, but straight away knew what i'd found, as i'd seen pictures only a few days earlier.
I can't remember the species but it was150-200mm long, funnily shaped, alot more 'blunt' than other snakes and cylindrical in cross-section, they do smell, i only ever kept them for a few days at a time as i couldn't get them to feed (see above) and it turned out al i had to do was dig in the sandy ant dirt and i'd find a couple. Funnily enough legless lizards were common as muck in the same area?

They are cool little fellas, and if you could get enough food, go for it, just be prepared to never see it. :)

Apparently there is an exotic species of parthenogenetic blind snake which is fairly common in the Sydney area (our only well established exotic snake). I imagine it would be quite hardy if it has managed to take hold. Perhaps they could either be cultured or collected for herp feed. If it was legal I would like to have a go at keeping these things. Parthenogenesis isn't common in snakes, I think it would be interesting.

Yeah, i heard about them, they were introduced through, potting mix/soil all it took was one.

Actually the Interior Blind Snake is on the endangered species listing.Below is info from the NSW Parks and Wildlife site.

"4. The threats to Ramphotyphlops endoterus are unknown, although habitat degradation by feral goats may impact on the species. The small size of this population also makes it vulnerable to genetic introgression and one-off catastrophic events.

5. In view of 2, 3 & 4 above the Scientific Committee is of the opinion that the blind snake Ramphotyphlops endoterus is likely to become extinct in nature in NSW unless the circumstances and factors threatening it survival cease to operate."

That's a big claim for a fossorial snake that lives only in central australia. How would they know what the population level is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back