Blind

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just had a few days in an area not too many tourists can enter easily, especially at night

Solid old jungle with black being the over riding colour

Had been asked several times to take someone who turned out to be a very very special person there
Because the tours are to see reptiles we usually look for them at night
All the other night creatures are out then too so we never know what we will see

Met the guy and he is a huge man
[after 6ft6 I stop looking up because it hurts my neck]
Built like one of those German swimmers who used to win all the medals

We went for a walk in the traffic and got home safely so agreed to take him
6 people on tour with me and 2 local guides

I left 1 hour before the others with him and we wandered off because we would be slower
Usually a 3 or 4 hour tour but allowed a bit extra

Best night I have had in the jungle for a long time
He is 100% blind
But his other senses are so well tuned that we crept along in virtual silence and I quickly learned to use his ears
Its black under the canopy and for long periods I turned the light off in areas I know reasonably well
It gets pretty spooky in there at times and usually the biggest problem is getting the guests to keep quiet as much as possible so the beasties dont get scared off
We hardly said a word but must have looked pretty funny creeping along holding hands

I actually broke all my rules and caught a Dipong or Blood Python just so he could experience the power difference between a wild one and the tame one at home

Amazing few hours with a top bloke who couldnt stop grinning and will never understand why some people call him handicapped

Its amazing how those who have one of their senses missing are more in tune with whats around them than those with all their senses supposedly working

Great story mate. I have guided blind and also deaf people in wild places and it is rewarding/ enriching when the communication is good (as you know). You are in their world for a while.

Goodonya!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back