Blue Tongue Liazard story (Pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I've been looking for Bluey for a while and finally decided on purchasing from an older lady who couldnt keep her pets anymore. I didnt expect to see what I walked into. She had beardies and other assorted lizards stacked high in a room with little ventilation and the smell... literally bought tears to my eyes. I was so shocked and sad for these poor animals that, if I could, I would have taken them all then and there. Unfortuanately, I only came for the 18 month old Bluey, who Ive decided to name "Dozer".

Dozers' cage was filthy, sand had compacted due to diarrhea seeping through without being cleaned up, left over dog food from his feeds was left caked over the side of the cage with a heat-cord with no thermostat burning in the corner. I was really worried about his health at first and naturally worried for the health of my animals at home. I almost decided against it but thought that if everyone had the same first impressions and thoughts as me then this poor little fella isnt going to get the chance or life he deserves. So for 150 bucks... I got him, his filthy cage, heat lamps, hide and a stand for the tank. On the drive home he messed himself, it smelt worse than death.... so tomorrow I'm taking a trip to the vet to check he/she (dont actually know) is A-OK.

There is an up side to this story, he/she is affectionate and such a character! When we got home I had to wash him because he was covered in his own mess, on closer inspection I noticed he had started a shed as well. So after his bath I put him in another spare/set up clean tank with a log to rub himself on. Needless to say a couple of hours later he was just about finished shedding and was waiting at the door watching me make the bed and walk past. I grabbed him out and put him on the bed and he climbed up for cuddles on my chest and promptly fell asleep! Im happy with my purchase but still find myself troubled with what I saw today, I understand she was getting older and unable to care for them properly but she should have sort out help sooner. Some may call me.... well call me what they will, but I did let DERM know the situation, because those poor reptiles need help and so does the woman.

\Dozer 003.jpgDozer 002.jpg

Thanks for reading guys, :)

You had to do what you had to do, the welfare of those animals comes before a persons feelings regardless of age. Truth be known she may be even grateful if the responsibility of their care is taken out of her hands? You did the right thing in my opinion :) Good on you for giving Dozer a terrific home :)

You're in QLD. Feel free to ask DERM or RSPCA for help, but you'll have more luck asking Allah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back