Blue-Tongue Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdhamhRuadh

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Can anyone tell me what the best natural looking substrate is for an eastern blue-tongue?? I was thinking '100% organic pine-bark' but I read on the packet that you're not meant to touch it with your bare skin, and to avoid inhalation :? . Any help would be great.

KrimenuL

i have heard that rice husks are great for blueys i have seen it in an enclosure b4 and it looks natural

Krimenul, try using Kiln Dried Sand which you can purchase from most Landscaping/sand suppliers. Looks good, is very fine so not dangerous if swallowed and is easy to sift clean. Costs about $6.00 for a 40Kg bag.

Rice husks are really good for desert varieties of large skinks

Dr Harrys cat litter looks more natural than the breeders choice pellets and the blueys love digging under it. You can always use leaf litter. Soak the leaves in hot water first if you're concerned about mites or ticks. Best of all leaf litter is free. Perhaps also a fine mulch thats free of chemicals.

we use a eucalyptus bark mulch in ours and we find all the reps love it........smells ok and looks good too...............and is relatively cheap...........you get it from bunnings.......ask razza for more info

Aye, "Forest gold" brand euclyptus mulch from bunnings, $7 for 40kg, blueies and beardies love it! :wink:

Hi Miss magic, hows things? Bub kicking yet? Say hi to Dave for me?
p.s. Blues going great, one shedding ,other starting, both chowing hearty. Thanks so much. :D

Got my first move today inny..............thanks for asking.............good to hear you like he little fellas............they are cute........might start taking bets soon on the sex of bubs...........we find out in a week or so

Aw, how exciting, ask them to use the sound thing too if poss, you can hear the lil heartbeat! Tell Dave not to get too excited if he thinks its a boy, itsd prolly the cord LOL :lol:
Best wishes to all of you. P.s I bet on a girl. :D CONGRATS !!!

KrimenuL said:
Thanks for everyones help, ithink i might have a look for some of that "forest gold" stuff.

KrimenuL
Aye, "Forest gold" brand euclyptus mulch from bunnings, $7 for 40kg, blueies and beardies love it!

just wanting to know if the above mulch would be ok in an outdoor pit, if not, any tips on what would be good,

cheers,
steve........

I cant think of any reason why not, itd certainly insulate from the soil anyway. Be sure of really good drainage in an outdoor pit.

I cant think of any reason why not, itd certainly insulate from the soil anyway. Be sure of really good drainage in an outdoor pit.

thanks for the reply, i raised the floor of my pit above ground level with sand and this gives really good drainage, this is covered with leaf litter and logs, but i have trouble finding enough where i live, so i was looking for something extra to give a good cover over the sand,

cheers,
steve........

Newspaper inside au natural outside. ie grass, dirt, corro, logs, very makeshift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back