bluetongue cooling??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
The bulb blew in my bluey encl a week or two ago, so i decided to let them 'cool' because ive seen some mating like behaviour (him biting her neck etc) As I understand it 6 weeks of cooling then gradual warmup again mid to late august will encourage the biz?
They are experiencing about 17/18c at night 22/23 ambient in day. At these temps there not very active and not much intrested in food.
I have no idea how much or how often i can expect them to eat at those temps but have still offered every few days.
They havent had much more than peck or two in a week n half.
Im concerned these temps are not adequate for 'cooling' i.e but too cool for normal activity or healthy eating, and worried they will lose condition?
I cant lower the temps anymore without putting them outside (not game, no enc out there anyway) .
Should i just up the tmps to normal and wait till next time, or let em go?
or provide just a few hrs heat every other day, to mimic warmer winter days?
Did I leave 'cooling' too late anyway?
help appreciated, thnx in advance .

P.s im not too anxious about them not eating at this stage since they are reps, and blueys are pretty hardy beasties as i understand it, but at the same time, I try to keep them all in the best possible condition and wouldnt like to see anything happen to em.

instar mine are out side they dont get feed for the whole winter it doesnt seem to worry them they breed most years yours would be able to go with out food for a long time with out any troubles id imagine

Thanks longtom, thats amazing, I never considerd a lizard might go as long without food as snake, you've taught me something and put my mind at rest for sure. Thanks for your reply. cheers :D

Dan, My girl just stoped eating, the temps are all the smae and I put some cat biscits in there incase she gets hungery. She's going fine and spends most of her time under the mulch, has been doing so for a fair while. As long as they have some fat on them they'll be fine.
Cheers

I never heard of giving lizards dry kibble either, nother new one on me. I wonder if that could be risky though, im thinking a big feed of dry kibble might swell in the belly? love to see them actually eat some, sounds way strange. Any thoughts? Or did you mean presoaked? Probably, im a bit slow today :lol:

My blueis and shingles don't really eat in winter either. I provide them with soaked dog/ cat biscuits on warmer days (10'c +) out in the pit just incase and only one will occasionally eat. The rest don't eat for 3 months +
Nothing to worry about.

Should i just up the tmps to normal and wait till next time, or let em go?
or provide just a few hrs heat every other day, to mimic warmer winter days?
Did I leave 'cooling' too late anyway?

I'd personally put the temps. back to normal. If they're ready to breed, they will.
Blue tongues don't really need to be cooled IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back