bluey help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydro noun15

Reaction score
hi all
probably going to get a gift by one of my mums friends, its a blue tongue lizard and apparantly theyve had it as a pet for a while and want to give it to me.:D

but only one problem i need some help on what they eat and whats a good mix of foods, enclosure requirements etc....

any help would be great,
hydro:D

Ok Im gonna assume its either a blotched bluetongue or Common/Eastern bluetongue. I can keep them both indoors or outdoors. Indoors a 4ft enclosure would be fine. Outdoors will probably be easier and better. Tips to remember the larger the better, enclose the top to keep birds, cats etc out. Dont have wire going to the ground level. Provide heaps of places to hide. They eat all sorts of things dog/cat canned food, fruits/veges, snails (from non baited areas) and other insects. Varied the types you feed it.

thanx
iam not sure what type of bluey it is but yeah that food makes scense.
and i probably wont have an outdoors enclosure bcos of the storms and highwinds i have been getting lately.

thanx again, hydro

wow!! that was very long and i mean very long. worth every word it was interesting and alot of stuff i didn't know about blueys and now i do.

thanx a bunch
hydro

Good to remember too, the varied diet is essential, to keep the calcuim up.
A calcium suppliment is very helpful to keep the bones strong.
I also feed my bluetongues fuzzy mice and pinkys, depending on the size of the bluetongue.

I have a question regarding a Eastern Blue Tongue, I only just recieved him a few weeks ago, he was rarely handled and didn't like anyone (I can understand). Anyway he loves me now :D anyway I keep a globe over his enclosure to keep the temperature a few degress higher then normal, and I know once the go into hibernation they won't eat, but I'm curious when will he start eating again? Cause I have offered him different types of food, including dog food but he refuses it.

He just hasn't eaten in some time.

im not sure about the time but just remember that they can go long periods without food. if you go to the bluetongueskinks.net link and join the forum and ask there, there are some really knowledgeable people who can help you.

g'day i keep blueys and i feed them on mince with grapes peas strawberrys and baked beans mashed into it i also put calcium supplement on every 2nd feed. as a treat i give a pinky mouse once a month. u just need to get the mince to fruit/veg ratio right approx 1 part mince to 2 parts fruit/veg. otherwise the put to on to much weight. they love it and i have never had a prob with them refusing food. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back