Books for Australian snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beano05

Reaction score
After looking at some species varience in colouration and sometimes patterns I am going to purchase a few more books for Identification purposes

What books do you swear by for Id purposes and why?

And also for new people to herps, books for looking after reptiles?

I own the following

1) Identification: A complete guide to Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilson & Gerry Swan

2) Looking after: Care of Australian Reptiles in captivity by John Weigel

3) Looking after: Keeping Childrens Pythons by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green (because I own one)

Iv got an awesome i.d one

Field Guide to Australian Reptiles by Stephen Swanson

Got everything in there about all reptiles, what they eat, av. number of offspring, if they lay eggs or live young, habitat, diet, if they occur outside of Aus
scale count, and whether the anal and subcaudal scales are divided or single.
everything I wanted to know

And a dictionary in the back for all the technical words for people like me that didnt know what they meant lol.
Awesome pics too, showing variation in colour, also gives the location of where the photo of the reptile was taken which with some shows colour variation between localaties. all the details, and according to the Reptiles Australia mag its one of the best.

Oh and its got 2 pages of good reading and a few photos about each family of snakes, including Homalopsidae, which weren't in some other id books I have (although this one doesnt have Marine Snakes) and all the lizards, turtles and crocs before each section, also a bit on certain reptiles like the Blacksoil Death Adder, got a bit about the rediscovery of the Inland Taipan.
Even has some of the slang (Blue Bellied Black = Spotted Black, Mud Adder = De Vi's Banded Snake etc)

I could go on a bit longer but i think iv said enough, theres more lol.
Best one iv come across yet I think.

For snakes i use "Snakes of Australia by Peter Mirtschin & Richard Davis"
For everything else "Reptiles and Amphibians of Australia by Cogger 2000 edition"
If still not sure i also use "Steven Swanson's Field Guide to Australian Reptiles"
If still not sure, regional guides are available for some areas like "Reptiles and Frogs in the Bush Southwestern Australia by Bush,Maryan,Browne-Cooper and Robinson"

Also the net is good if you know roughly what species or area (google search), or forums like AP&S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back