Bookshelf enclosure questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scynte

Reaction score
Good morning APS :)

i am looking to have a go at making an enclosure for a pair of blue tongues for my kids and I, and have a few questions...

the idea I have is I want to convert an old bookshelf (either 6x3ft or 6x2ft depending what I find, then replace the back with either mdf or melamine. Make a lid for it, wooden supports and steel mesh across the openings.

So first question I have it would an enclosure like this work for a pair of blueys? All wooden bar a mesh top??

secondly, with a uv supply, I was thinking of running 2x 18 inch incandescent globes across the centre of the enclosure. Or would 1x 18 near the basking spot/s suffice?? Would be around 30cm above the lizard.

Thirdly for heat I was going to create one basking spot in a corner or would it be worth to do 2 separate basking spots for the blueys.

I think that's everything, I had to type this out twice :(

thanks in advance

Good morning APS :)

i am looking to have a go at making an enclosure for a pair of blue tongues for my kids and I, and have a few questions...

the idea I have is I want to convert an old bookshelf (either 6x3ft or 6x2ft depending what I find, then replace the back with either mdf or melamine. Make a lid for it, wooden supports and steel mesh across the openings.

So first question I have it would an enclosure like this work for a pair of blueys? All wooden bar a mesh top??

secondly, with a uv supply, I was thinking of running 2x 18 inch incandescent globes across the centre of the enclosure. Or would 1x 18 near the basking spot/s suffice?? Would be around 30cm above the lizard.

Thirdly for heat I was going to create one basking spot in a corner or would it be worth to do 2 separate basking spots for the blueys.

I think that's everything, I had to type this out twice :(

thanks in advance

I honestly don't think a bookshelf would be good for blueys, may not be deep enough. Unless you mean 2 or 3 ft deep? Also UV isn't a hassle for blueys especially if you live local to where they are from. Basically an hour in the sun a day is all they need, so if the kids are
playing in the backyard one day take the blueys out with you and give them abit of sun, you'll soon realize their not a fan of being exposed and like to hide away.

Hope this has been helpful. :)

can you put a pic up of your bookshelf 6 foot long sounds good but you need a good depth especially if your gonna house them together a bookshelf from what i know are generally not deep enough so give us pick then we can give you a yay or nay......

I was in the process of looking for one, but with a stroke of luck I am no longer going to use a bookshelf... I found an old aquarium (6x3x3ft) for free on a local trade site with only a minor crack in the glass (owner's didn't think it was worth anything because of it) so now I am in the process of organising a roof/stand design for it instead.

So another question instead of making a new post, a tank this size would be to big for 2 baby bluies, would it be best to seal off around 3ft of it (so would be a 3x3ft tank) and expand as they grow?

As for heating with this planning on 2x heating lamps at 1 end. for this size tank would it be enough (Probably only use 1 while they are smaller)

I don't mind taking them out in the sun light, especially at the moment with day light saving but might not have time after that. Will see how we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back