breathing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
I fed my snake last week, and now she is going into shed, so I took her out to give her a soak, and noticed that I could hear her breathing, almost a slight whistle. The only other time I have heard this is when it appeared she got water in her nose when she was soaking. Should I be concerned? is this normal.? I will increase the heat for a few days and see if it goes away. Any opinions or advice is welcome as always.
Thanks again
Moses

Hey moses,

Don't worry about the wheezing for now. When she sheds, inspect the nostrilly bits on the old skin and you'll see there are two booga looking protrubences, the snakes shed the interior of the nostril as well, and the weezing is just the oils lifting the old skin and creating a slightly smaller breathing passage in the nostrils.
She'll be fine once she sheds. Don't bother raising the temps, it'll just cause her to dry out more, and snakes are at their most vulnerable at the opaque stage. Wait until she sheds and if the wheezing persists, only then should you be worried.

I wouldn't be concerned just yet as it is probably the skin around the nasal passages that are causing the sound. as she fed last week i assume that she has gone into the blue phase. If so I would not soak her but leave her alone and give her a dish to soak in after that has passed.

Thanks for the replies. I will look out for that thanks Var.
Adulthud, she came out of the blue phase 2 days ago, hence the soak. Thanks again.
Moses
ps, I did not know that they shed the lining in the nose. Learn something new every day.

U were right thud. the noise is gone once the shed happened.
Always get great advice here :)
Moses

My diamond has ALWAYS made this noise, and she doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. I wouldn't worry too much, unless she shows other signs of distress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back