Breeding age of macs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whats the breeding age is. I purchased a 10 month old pair of blond mac off another forum member last weekend. I put them together into a 2ft tank and they've wrapped around each other for the last hr or so.

Person I know reckons thats what his pair of macs did when mating. I'm just worry that if thats the case I may have to separate them.

I'm certainly no expert but until someone more qualified responds ...... I would say that at 10months old they would be to young to breed. You may end up with problems later on down the track with the female being physically to small and binding.

I have heard of them breeding at 12 months, not recommended though. Leave it until next year and assuming they are big enough they will be able to safely breed.

it is to late in the season and unless they were cooled, i dont think you have much of a chance, although they could breed next season, my female will breed next season at 2 and a half years but my male will only be 18 months, if they are about 100cm imo they should be right, but it all depends on their health and weight. they may just me keeping each other warm, by minimising their surface area etc.... but i dont think they would be mating, have a look to see if there is an hemipene penitration, would be interesting.

My Macs are that age too, they coil around each other all the time, I just think they feel comfortable that way, they cuddle up all the time, definately not mating though.

My macs mated at 18months and showed all the signs of being gravid, belly up, prelay etc., but never produced any eggs. I therefore believe she was too young, she should have been big enough according herptraders breeding size table. She did however breed this year at 2 1/2.

Does anyone have a copy of that table? We have 2 female Childreni that are 21 months old and about 2 foot or a little longer and we're wondering if we could put them with the spunky new male we got :D

Maculosus: Male 77cm and Female 84cm
Childreni: Male 69cm and Female 72cm
Stimsoni: Male 88cm and Female 85cm

The minimum size they(childreni) have bred at though are Male 518mm and Female 525mm.

As long as the female is large enough they can breed at 18 months not a problem,but 10 months is way to young.
If you want them to breed next season i would advise you to keep them in separate enclosures and get plenty of food into them between now and then so they get a bit of size on them.Good luck with breeding them next season.

mmm... can you say egg bound? my pair will be 18 months this season, i'm hoping to see eggs.

imo if the female isnt ready i believe she wont drop eggs. 18 months is plenty i think for all of them if they are large enough, my male spotted is about 12 months and is just under 80cm or so, so should be about 3 ft for next season and he will breed, the female is 2yrs and 110cm and was cooled last season to prepare for this season so i expect to see a clutch hopefully 6-8 eggs i would be stoked for a first clutch.

hugsta said:
The minimum size they(childreni) have bred at though are Male 518mm and Female 525mm.

Oooooohhhhh looks like there'll be a few snakies going on dates in our place soon lol. Thanx huggles ;)

trader said:
ooohhh were you the ones that got that lil guy advertised? Congrats!

Yup! He's a gorgeous little thing! In beautiful condition as well.

imo if the female isnt ready i believe she wont drop eggs.

I was thinking the same thing Jason...surely if they're not mature enough they won't breed? :?

Sorry to hijack the thread hph but I was just wondering...we have 2 females in one cage and the male in his own cage...would people suggest putting the male in with the 2 girls or putting one girl in his cage at a time? I know it's better to put a male into a females cage but it's only 3x2x2. Would they happily breed in that? And will he happily "service" both girls? :lol:

hi ouzo,
not sure on childrens, but our coastal male serviced 3 females,
all laying within a week, all cluches are fertile, we put the male into the females cage, but only 1 female at a time and moved him around every few days, he had
a very busy week, lol, and all females layed 20 to 21 days after they shed,

cheers,
steve......

personally i would put the girls one by one with him. he should do them both if he's "hungry" enough.

Lol lucky boy steve :lol: ;). I'm hoping we can get away with putting him in with both girls cos if not then at least one of them has to be disturbed by being relocated! If people have had success with moving the female into the males cage then that could be the go but I usually hear the other way around :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back