Breeding crickets ?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
can some one show me some pics of your cricket breeding tub/container pls have tryed with no success a little story abt y u have things in there
eg egg cartons to hide in
ect ect ect ect ect

I dont actually breed them, but I hear it's quite smelly if you do.

Someone I know has an old fishtank with them in it, it just has egg cartons for hiding space, and a container with some soil in it that is kept damp for the eggs, and a dish with food in it, so you can take it out and change it before it spoils.

re Breeding

Mr magic go to one of the previous crix posts,they are too easy to breed really,you put female crix in containers with moist sand and peat moss mixed and they lay their eggs.Then i cut a hole in the top of the plastic container,put a chux cloth over the top of container and put top on for ventilation,then pop the container in incubator at 32c and in about fourteen days i have thousands of pinheads,then put crushed bran in there and some water gel.Thats it they are a pestilence mongrel things that breed in plague proportions as most varanid keepers that have hot cages with sand in there and moisture from water bowls etc would testify to. :)

Cockroaches smockroaches. My allergy doctor told me I am allergic to cockroach poop so there is no way I am going to fill my house with them. Although guests do somplain less about the noise at night when they are trying to sleep.

And yes, taking these photo's is harder than getting crickets to breed. Its just that when you had 10 adult dragons and 24 babies they dont last very long. Especially when your mates keeping nickin' em.

anyway, this first pic is just of two of my tubs. One has holes in th eside. A new innovation because they are stackable. I will soon have 8 of these going. Currently only 5.

This one is a breeding tub. I put adults in here for a few weeks and then eat 'em. They will lay eggs in the two containers with peat moss. I feed them crap. A few dog bickie type things and vege scraps. Water is via a sponge that I keep moist. After the eggs have been laid and parents eaten I move the egg laiden container into a raising tub. The eggs should hatch in a couple of weeks and tehn all the crix in that container will be the same age.

you then raise your little crix in a tub with peat moss on the bottom. If you need to feed pinheads, do it soon, if you want small, do it after a week or two. If you want adults then make sure you don't have too many baby lizards because you will use up all your little ones and have to buy more adults to start again.

In the end, I expect to have 8 tubs running at 2 week intervals. Maybe by next summer I will be able to keep up with demand.

Oh, and at the moment they are in spare enclosures at 30 degrees. I may use heat mats in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back