Breeding Dilemma/Questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtis

Reaction score
hey APS.

I have a few questions for breeders I cannot find answers to.

After keeping pythons for a few years I am interested in trying my hand at breeding. however,

- Is it easy to sell offspring? Or do most people just end up with a clutch of new pythons for themselves? I know it depends on species, so take albino darwins for example. I am not in it for money, just the experience so price would be quite low.

- Is it risky to your own snake to introduce another sex python to the enclosure?

- How does a breeding Trio work exactly? is it two females and a male together with the hope of two clutches?

Thanks guys.

You will always sell your offspring so long as you're asking the right price. That may mean selling for much less than you anticipate, but you can either sell them for what they will sell for or you can join the masses and claim that the market is dead and it's impossible to sell. Easy choice really.

There's a small risk when introducing adults but it really is very small. Besides the obvious risk should the scent of a rodent find it's way into the enclosure, your main concern should be the initial introduction. Grabbing your male and throwing it into the female's enclosure will stress the male and put him in defensive mode. The female can then be startled by all the sudden movement and you may end up with two stressed, defensive snakes who can't get out of each others way. Simple solution is to allow the male to move into the female's enclosure of its own accord, as much as possible.

Generally a trio will be 1 male and 2 females, but regardless of the sex ratio you would generally only ever have one pair together at any time. Ideally you would simply rotate the male between each of the female's cages throughout the breeding season.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll correct myself, your main concern when introducing adults should be that they are not both males as that is the scenario most likely to cause problems. Confirm your sexes prior to introduction and always monitor initial introductions as closely as possible as even probing can sometimes not be entirely accurate.

You will always sell your offspring so long as you're asking the right price. That may mean selling for much less than you anticipate, but you can either sell them for what they will sell for or you can join the masses and claim that the market is dead and it's impossible to sell. Easy choice really.

There's a small risk when introducing adults but it really is very small. Besides the obvious risk should the scent of a rodent find it's way into the enclosure, your main concern should be the initial introduction. Grabbing your male and throwing it into the female's enclosure will stress the male and put him in defensive mode. The female can then be startled by all the sudden movement and you may end up with two stressed, defensive snakes who can't get out of each others way. Simple solution is to allow the male to move into the female's enclosure of its own accord, as much as possible.

Generally a trio will be 1 male and 2 females, but regardless of the sex ratio you would generally only ever have one pair together at any time. Ideally you would simply rotate the male between each of the female's cages throughout the breeding season.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll correct myself, your main concern when introducing adults should be that they are not both males as that is the scenario most likely to cause problems. Confirm your sexes prior to introduction and always monitor initial introductions as closely as possible as even probing can sometimes not be entirely accurate.

Are some Aussie snakes harder or easier to breed? Or is it the same process with most of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back