breeding imbricata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
im going to give my morelia spilota imbricata a try this year i have 2m and 1f and another 2 slightly smaller females comming

at the moment (short on cages till my rack systems built) i have 1m housed by himself and a female and male housed together an extra cage (was going to put 2 new females or 1 female in it and other in large tub on 25w heatcord).

my question is can anybody offer insight to the cooling and breeding of south-west carpets

as i live in perth its started to get quiet cold so iv started dropping the basking temp to 28c im using a micro climate thermostat on all the 4ft cages and no night-time heat is provided the only lighting in the enclosures is a single 100w red bulb to provide the heat.

any insight would be much appreciated

This is from 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons'
Daily Max Daily Min
April 33 26
May 33 22.5
June 34 17.5
July 34 16
Aug 34 17.5
Sep 33 22.5

The maximums mentioned are for the hot spot. The heat is on for 12 hrs then off for 12.

Grab a copy of it asap it has everything you need and then some.

i just bought a copy of "keeping & breeding australian pythons" by mike swan herp books its great pretty much an emalgamation of papers about breeding and husbandry of every species of aussie python

for anyone else interested the imbricata paper was written by robert browne-cooper
pretty much -
june, july, august cooling
september raise heat
october males search for females
november copulation/ovulation
december egg laying
february hatching

Rob bred several clutches over the years and was a meticulous note-keeper, so I think you'd be pretty safe going with his advice.

Having said that, I bred mine this season and I know someone else who bred his, and they were all over the place. Mine hatched 1 March, his hatched in December! I think what Rob has done is give the optimum dates and temps.

For info - Rob no longer lives in WA.

Simon

hey there adder i dont suppose you have any pics of your lot

also how many hatchlings will you have availible?

Kenshin - I'll have some for sale in June. Will put something up on the site then. Meanwhile, will email you - not sure what's wrong with the pm. Must check with admin.

Cheers,
S

good luck mate, hope all goes well, they are a nice speces and i wish we had them in greater numbers over thise side of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back