Breeding Leaf tail geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericreptiles

Reaction score
I have 2 leaf tail geckos{Saltuarius Swaini} I believe I have a male and female.They are only 10 month old and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me at what age they would breed.

Three years old, mine are now three and have bred for the first time this season.

:0)

Thanks for that Saz.Will they lay their eggs in a container of damp Sphagnum Moss like my thick tails do?

I use moist coir peat which she happily lays in, but I'm sure sphagnum would also be just fine. My adult female laid her 4th clutch of the season last night, they have been very productive this season considering it's their first.

Do you have any pics of yours?

:0)

Hi Saz, thanks for the information.I have only had my geckos for 1 year so all the info I can get certainly helps.Here are some photos of my geckos.

Attachments

• PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0185.JPG
    PICT0185.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 126
  • PICT0188.JPG
    PICT0188.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 119
Eric,
Is the third pic of your female?

If so, She looks very fat considering most Saltuarius stay slender in good Health.

Shawn

They look like P. platurus to me. :?

Admittedly i am not too familiar with the Leaf-tailed geckos (excl. P. platurus) so i dare not tell you they aren't S. swainii. Did you get them from a trusted source?

Shawn,Im not sure which one is the female.I thought I had 2 males but I posted some pictures on this sight and everyone that replied thought I had a pair.Because its fat does that mean theres a problem.they eat well and seem very healthy and alert.

No, maybe you should cut back on the feeding abit though. Appears like an obese leaf tail to me but talk to a Leaf Tail Breeder.

Any chance of an enclosure pic?

Shawn

I did buy these geckos from a breeder who sold them to me Saltuarius Swaini.I have brought Three lined knob tail geckos off him as well with no problem.
These leaf tails are fed 4 times a week .
Pictures of their tank attached.Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• PICT0297.JPG
    PICT0297.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 142
im also leaning towards them being phyllurus platurus. im might be wrong but they dont look similar to other swaini i have seen. they look like the platurus with is what we get around our place. anyway, they look like nice gecko, congrats.

ian

As far as i'm aware both p.platurus and swaini are roughly the same size. I keep the p.platurus and just like rocket suggested, i'd cut back the feeding a little. Would definately consider going to 3 feeds a week and see how they handle it.

Very nice none the less.

Saltuarius Swaini
:D

They look alot like P. platurus... How long have you had them and not realised? Surely you've looked for pics of other peoples swaini...

here are both species mentioned, see if you can pick which photo is which animal :p

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN2374.jpg

DSCN1671.jpg

-H

How much did you pay for them if you don't mind my asking?

Hi Nephrurus.P.Platurus would be the 1st and 3rd which is diffinatley the geckos I have.I can only say the breeder sold them as swaini .I have had them 10 months and paid $100 each for them.

$100 is not too bad a price, they generally go for about $80. Perhaps the breeder is unaware himself?

I should correct myself One was brought as a hatchling the other was a yearling.Both brought off the same breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back