Bristlenosed Catfish Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably get in trouble for this but an excellent site for CHEAP!! Native fish and plants is AQUAGREEN. Fish i've seen in pet shops for $20+ can be as low as $5. he breeds alot of them in above ground swimming pools up in darwin, some are wild caught on license tho.

Yer we put extra food in for them like everyone has said but we did get them off a guy, and the reasion he gave them 2 us was because they were eating his other fish so I think he wasnt feeding them them enough now you have all said that! They dont do it as much anymore. could be because we are feeding them more than they use to get at the other place. Ill keep an eye on it and if i see them doing it again i will up there food!! Thank you for your help Gillsy and bel!!!!

I actually thought bristlenoses were only algae eaters as babies. Once they got some size to them I thought they changed to a carnivorous. That's what I heard, anyway. What is your opinion? Previous experience showed me otherwise, although they didn't hesitate to eat a sick or dying fish, but always remained attached to the glass or filter as larger specimens.

It is not at all unusual in nature for herbivores to take advantage of an occasional meat meal when available - everything from algae eaters to kangaroos. You would be suprised...

Starr9, do you know the scientific name of the Bristlenose you have? Does it have wood to chew on, because they need that to aid their digestion. I do not know why.

I feed my fish (mixed community with bristlenosed) every second day or so i.e. three or four times a week. I use the spirulina algae discs +flakes + crumbles. Very occasional couple of slices of blanched zucchini. Ocassional live food like mozzie wrigglers, daphnia or midge larvae. I haven’t had any real problems. I have the good old garden variety Ancistrus cirrhosus.

Kath, they remain algae eater all their lives. As I pointed out, the occasional protein rich meal is not scoffed at. Most catfish are very good at cleaning up any organic left overs on the bottom of the tank in addition to their staple of algae.

Gillsy, I love that site. Apart from the fish, the range of Australian aquatic plants they carry is absolutely awesome. I have not seen another supplier come within cooee. If you are into native fish you really do need to spend some time browsing what they have to offer. Thumbs up forgiving Aquagreen the plug they deserve. Well done!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
001-8.jpg

Got my solar powered fountain :D. It looks very cute and surprisingly, works well. Of course it isn't big, but it is just the right size for this tub. But when its time for the snakes to go in, I will have to anchor it to the brick, and do something with the cord so it isn't easy pulled about.

Blue I am taking on your advice about getting some natives for the tub. I have just laybied myself a fishtank into which the goldies can go, when I get it home, and I will get some little pacific blue eyes for the outside water tub. The smaller ones are less likely to foul up the water as much as the goldfish will, too.

Last edited:
Got my solar powered fountain :D. It looks very cute and surprisingly, works well. Of course it isn't big, but it is just the right size for this tub. But when its time for the snakes to go in, I will have to anchor it to the brick, and do something with the cord so it isn't easy pulled about.

Blue I am taking on your advice about getting some natives for the tub. I have just laybied myself a fishtank into which the goldies can go, when I get it home, and I will get some little pacific blue eyes for the outside water tub. The smaller ones are less likely to foul up the water as much as the goldfish will, too.

Kath you should be able to find BE around where you are in the brackish water, you will just need to convert them to fresh.. I"m doing a couple myself at the moment. If you get local ones they'll also be use the your local temps.

Gudgeons from local freshwater creeks will be good for the mozzies to.

Sounds like fun Gillsy. I'll need a largish, fine net to catch them. I am hopeless at fishing with a line and hook, let alone netting them.

You can use traps, but they only go into traps on a certain tide... which I'm not sure what it is down here... I'll find out from an ANGFA member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back