Broken Spine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo66

Reaction score
Hi all,
I purchased a male Olive Python Dec 2010 from a mate who had owned the animal for almost a year. Prior to my mate owning the animal it's previous owner mistreated and neglected the animal. I have know idea how the animal was physically handled but at the time of purchasing the animal from my mate I noticed a slight kink in the last third of the animal. It did not appear to cause the animal any problems and he had the usual ability to grasp with his tail so I didn't think much about it.

Now that he has grown a considerable amount, just over 8 foot in length, the kink is more pronounced and I have notice he does not use the last third of his body when moving along the ground. He can still grasp with his tail but unless essential to hang on with his doesn't use it to move.

Finally my question, I have been advised by a person who works in a well known reptile park and has studied snakes that the animals back is probably broken and should probably be put down. The animal is passive, even when suspended by his tail when it is wrapped around my arm, no obvious signs of distress or pain, there isn't even any sign of weakness, there is a lot of power in the tail. Has anyone owned a python with a broken lower back? he is growing and moving about ok so is there still quality of life. not looking at having him put down but interested in peoples thoughts.

Cheers Davo

Based just on what you have described I wouldn't be putting him down either, yes maybe when it first happened that may have been the kindest path but this far down the track is obviously well healed and he has adapted to the issues it may present him.

I watched an episode of Chris Humphreys Wild Life where his Olive had a lump in her back too.... he to it to a Chiroprator to get it straightened, all he usedwas this hand pump thing that they use on young children.

Could be an option if the back isn't broken?

Just a thought but if it was neglected is it possible that he suffered metabolic bone disease? Not sure that it's particularly common in olives but just a thought, if he's well fed since then he would have recoveRed but may have a permanent kink now...

Personally I'd take him to a vet for some x-rays to ensure that's what is wrong. They can't make you put him down, but it would pay to be certain what it is, for the simple reason that you wouldn't want to do anything to unintentionally exacerbate an effectively unknown problem.

Could of been born that way. I have known a few snakes that were born that way, they still have an excellent quality of life, they eat and breed with no problems.

Taking in all the above suggestions mine would follow on from taking it for X-rays. From this you can make solid judgements on how to proceed. My only other suggesteion would be not to overfeed and put on unnecessary weight or size.

If the animal is capable of eating and pooping without problems, moves around with ease, and doesn't show signs of being in pain when the area in question is touched, it seems like your friend's suggestion of putting the animal down is ridiculous.

An x ray would be good just so you know what is going on in there, but if your Olive has been living a normal life for several years post incident, then I wouldn't be too worried. It is possible he could have even been crushed a little and have some healed broken ribs that have fused together a bit during the healing process making movement in the area difficult, but not life threatening.

Peter's suggestion of not overfeeding the animal is a good one, keeping him lean and him not having to pass extremely large food items sounds like good advice to avoid putting any extra strain on the area as he grows/ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back