Bug Id

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itbites

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone possibly tell me what bug this is? I found it...in my dogs mouth :lol:

Attachments

• 010420081598.jpg
    010420081598.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 010420081601.jpg
    010420081601.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 53
yup, mole cricket, i caught a garden skink trying to eat one the other day, bloody cricket is bigger than the lizard lol

mole cricket? thats what i always called them as a kid

EDIT: too slow

Its great lizard food but check this wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_cricket for info on the species.
rufcwix.jpg

we've had a few of them around.... ugly little buggers!

LOL moosenoose, :p cool well now i know ..their days in my backyard are numbered hehe

It's not a mole cricket, don;t you people know anything?
People like you disgust me giving out advice on things you know nothing about.

If you put them on your hand they push your fingers apart and it fels weird lol

I think it's a mole cricket 8) (Just keeping with the flow of the threads lately hehehehe) 10 more posts will confirm it though :lol:

I was thinking about making a similar post :p

Yes, it's definitely a mole cricket, uh huh, I knew it and even though you'd already been told and had it confirmed several times, I wanted to look like I knew too, 'cause I'm so smart :p

Oh, right, by this stage I'm supposed to add extra information about them and personal anecdotes of my experiences with them, and in the case that others have already provided information and anecdotes, my information must be more detailed and obscure than the previous information, and my anecdotes funnier and more impressive.

They often turn up in rice paddies, and rice farmers often gather them up and eat them. They're quite delicious and nutritious. If you're going to gather them up for food, be careful as the forelegs are modified for digging, they're very strong and covered in serrations which can give you a superficial but mildly painful injury. They have long, drawn out calls and usually call from the entrance of their burrows.

When I was a little kid...

Okay, I'm bored now, I couldn't even be bothered googling them to get their global distributional data, number of species, etc :p

If you're going to gather them up for food, be careful as the forelegs are modified for digging, they're very strong and covered in serrations which can give you a superficial but mildly painful injury.

Legs modified for digging are called "fossorial", did you know that Sdaji, didya didya? :p :p :p :p

I was thinking about making a similar post :p

Yes, it's definitely a mole cricket, uh huh, I knew it and even though you'd already been told and had it confirmed several times, I wanted to look like I knew too, 'cause I'm so smart :p

Oh, right, by this stage I'm supposed to add extra information about them and personal anecdotes of my experiences with them, and in the case that others have already provided information and anecdotes, my information must be more detailed and obscure than the previous information, and my anecdotes funnier and more impressive.

They often turn up in rice paddies, and rice farmers often gather them up and eat them. They're quite delicious and nutritious. If you're going to gather them up for food, be careful as the forelegs are modified for digging, they're very strong and covered in serrations which can give you a superficial but mildly painful injury. They have long, drawn out calls and usually call from the entrance of their burrows.

When I was a little kid...

Okay, I'm bored now, I couldn't even be bothered googling them to get their global distributional data, number of species, etc :p

ok take off your white coat now cause you ate them all :p

Legs modified for digging are called "fossorial", did you know that Sdaji, didya didya? :p :p :p :p

Ooh! ******* contest time! :lol:

I finished my honours year (which focussed on insects) when you were barely starting your uni course!

Is it time to start using ridiculously unnecessary jargon? Yes, the ridiculous jargon contest...

The Mole Crickets are such enchanting endognathus hexapods which form the family Gryllotalpidae, which of course are Ensiferans. Despite their comical appearance with wings barely extending past the head when folded, these insects are volant after they have completed their incomplete metamorphosis.

Yeah, I'm bored again; that's as much silly jargon as I feel like throwing at someone I'm only pretending to compete with :lol:

Oh, come on! They censor the word ******* around here? Even a prude like me is comfortable with that one! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back