Building Enclosures for non builder types

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Another topic of high interest lately has been construction of enclosures. Whilst I acknowledge that I am definitely the worst builder in this forum I wanted to show what a laymen can do very easily.

It turns out that one of my clients sells laminate to kitchen makers down in Griffith. I got them to make up all the bits of HMR melamine that I need to make an enclosure. My wife wanted it in Cherry colour because it would match the other furniture in the room that it is going in. Anyway, all the wood cost me $150 and all I did was screw it together.

They say that they could make a kit for a 4x2x2 with pre-drilled holes, glass and runners, flat packed in White HMR melamine for $135. But if you have a friend who makes kitchens you can do better than that.

Hopefully Steve or Brett will also post picks of the black ones that cost $180.

Yes Kirsten, he had heaps of colours. But the cost goes up dramatically. The cherry was more than double the white. The black was probably double the white. I also asked about two colour (cherry on the outside & black on the inside) but the only way to do that is to laminate over the top of one edge doubling the cost again.

Nothing yet mate. Gotta wait for my hatchies to grow up. I just had to do this while I was in Griffith. Ya got any ideas? they'd probably take womas :) :)

The black is more like 3 times the amount of the white.
Great looking unit there Pete.

Thats interesting Dee, we made a 6x2x2 bank out of black for $180 so that would make it very cheap to make white ones. Hopefully the guys will post the photos. Of course, a large cost is the cutting and edging of the little bits. It's a lot cheaper not to have the lips at the top and/or bottom. We also made another mistake of making the internal dimensions 600 x 600 instead of the outside dimensions. We would have saved a bit there too.

Pete,
Where are the vents mate??
Very nice though and double congrats for doing it all by yourself.

Also, don't confuse melamine with timber laminates as they can be very expensive, depending on the type of timber used. Looks pretty good Pete.

The vents are with the glass Mel. I am in no rush as I dont ahve anythng to put in there yet. the vents will be decided upon when I decide on occupants. And yeah Daz, he said laminate was very dear.

Not bad Peter- they'll make a rep a nice home!

Might take the pic to our local kitchen place and see if they'll help me out :)

pete bunnings had some nice wooden vents when i was ni there the other day looked quite good

Sorry Pete, I actually meant an 8x4 sheet of black compared to an 8x4 sheet of white. I get it wholesale and it works out about that down here.

You’re idea is great Pete.
I’ve had plans of providing kits that people could put together, unfortunately weight and packaging has been an issue for freight prices.
It ended up that the total cost of the enclosure was doubled to cover the cost of getting it to the consumer.

Ultimately I have decided to provide free delivery within my area and unable to provide to outside consumers.

If anyone has any contacts in the transport industry I would be happy to talk with them in regards to freight costs.
Russ

Sorry pete just took a look at this thread I actually finished up the enclosures yesterday so I will post some pics tongiht when I get home. I opted for black and they look awsome

Yep mine too. Ill post em later. Now to get back to 3 uni assignments due in 3 hours.. Better start them!

Damn APS...

They look really nice Pete. Do they come in a Pine Laminate?

I had an enclosure built for me by Aqua Furn a while back that was made out of pine laminate. Looks like real wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back