Building My First Hide Tomorrow

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jax. Does that mean you approve of my steps? I'll make sure I add this thread to the DIY group too. Finally I can have some meaningful input to the group :)

LOL, since when do you need my approval !!! theres always more than one way to get the end result, if this works for you and your happy with it then go for it.
but its looking ok so far.

I'll have to look into the resin 'thing' once I get some time. it sounds promising. I love experimenting with different products and seeing what results can be acheived

Haha Jax everyone knows you're the DIY Queen so your approval is important :p
I went to Bunnings but couldn't find the liquid sandstone stuff so just bought some grout. I also decided on pondtite as the sealer just because it was the first one I saw. I also decided to stick with expand foam just because the builder's bog was a bit too expensive for my needs.
So this is where it's at so far:
The mould for stretching and shaping the mesh:
IMG_0260.jpg

The aviary mesh skeleton:
IMG_0261.jpg

The lump of poo with the foam covering:
IMG_0262.jpg

Now I am just waiting for it to dry and I will start with the grout

I tried making one out of expanding foam and it just need up liking like a large dog crap lol I gave up on that idea after that. I tried using the plaster they use for broken bones (handy having you mum as a nurse). It worked well I used a bowl as a mould. Unfortunately by the time I actually had a chance to make it the snakes then didn't fit in the hide. Haven't had a chance to make a new one yet. The plaster was really strong as it is a mesh in plaster sheets.

Haha Jax everyone knows you're the DIY Queen so your approval is important :p
I went to Bunnings but couldn't find the liquid sandstone stuff so just bought some grout. I also decided on pondtite as the sealer just because it was the first one I saw. I also decided to stick with expand foam just because the builder's bog was a bit too expensive for my needs.
So this is where it's at so far:
The mould for stretching and shaping the mesh:

The aviary mesh skeleton:

The lump of poo with the foam covering:

Now I am just waiting for it to dry and I will start with the grout

aw shucks, you almost made me blush (not an easy feat) i'm SOOO going to have to get a cap with DIY GURU (see other thread LOL) stamped on it, i'm not much of a 'tiara' type of girl.

I knew there was a reason i keep a stack of lego at my place, heaven knows it only encourages people to bring their kids when they visit ~shudder~ so I might have to move it to the shed.
and ..... I call that chicken wire, aviary mesh is square (at least here in SA.)

I tried making one out of expanding foam and it just need up liking like a large dog crap lol I gave up on that idea after that. I tried using the plaster they use for broken bones (handy having you mum as a nurse). It worked well I used a bowl as a mould. Unfortunately by the time I actually had a chance to make it the snakes then didn't fit in the hide. Haven't had a chance to make a new one yet. The plaster was really strong as it is a mesh in plaster sheets.

the plaster cloth is available from artist / craft suppliers, although not as cheap as 'mum' rates :) and Yes, i've tried it as well. there's actually some in the soon to be shown in public current project. !

Last edited:
Haha oh how exciting. Yeah this stuff has expanded much more than I would have liked. What do you use to cut this stuff? If it easier to use a hack saw once it's dry?

let it dry, wet its just messy !

And you'll notice i've made an addition under my username, .... they wont let me put DIY tragic/guru/queen..... its to long

lol you're a funny one.
I just coated my second "skeleton". It went a lot smoother this time.

Oh also this is much smaller than what I would normally call chicken wire but you're probably right it's not actually aviary mesh. The official name on the thingy is Bird Netting

Thanks jaxrtfm I didn't know you could get the plaster stuff from an art shop. I am happy to pay for it. Any idea what size the sheets come in? The stuff I have is on a narrow roll.

Plus I love your new title lol

I'll get some details when I get to the shed. There are times I hate working. It Takes up time I could be in the shed ! If only xlotto would pay up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back