Buying a habistat in the UK and changing the plugs for Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased a habistat thermostat in the UK, shipped it over here, and simply changed the plugs to suit australias outlets?

No but im seriously considering it!

I'm not an electrician but i have been making my own extension cords and stuff for a while... it shouldn't be that hard to swap the plugs around... you can pick up plugs from bunnings for about $2 - $5 they are relatively easy to put on! just make sure your attach the cables to the right plugs :)

or you could just buy two converters from UK plug to AUS

Last edited:
Make sure it's rated to 240 volts an you will have no problems I don't recommend this idea

The cost of shipping I would have thought would make this point void I would have thought. The USA and UK are two of the most expensive countries in the world to get things shipped out of. For the sake of a few bucks I would just get it through Brian at the herp shop.

Yes I have, I have 3 microclimate b1me stats. Got an electrician mate to Change the plug where your heatsource plugs in. Using the uk plug from there made an adapter up so they will plug into aus powere points. Alternatively you could by adapters from dicksmith/jaycar etcI had all 3 to my door for under AU$250James postage isn't that bad from UK. Just had 2 trail bike fenders shipped and it cost me $30 for Postage

Last edited:
It's illegal unless you are an Electrician or have one check it. If not your insurance would be void if there was a problem.

Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. Why not just buy from here and support local businesses. How would you feel running a business but everyone bought overseas because they could?

It's illegal unless you are an Electrician or have one check it. If not your insurance would be void if there was a problem.

Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you should. Why not just buy from here and support local businesses. How would you feel running a business but everyone bought overseas because they could?

I agree with you in cutting the cords and supporting local businesses but if I could save $50 a thermostat I would. It the Australian distributers fault for having prices so high but Brian at the herp shop is very competitive with prices and with him you will have a warranty. cutting cords warranty goes down the toilet.

The cost of shipping I would have thought would make this point void I would have thought. The USA and UK are two of the most expensive countries in the world to get things shipped out of. For the sake of a few bucks I would just get it through Brian at the herp shop.
I love supporting he herphop, but we're not talking about a few bucks here, have you seen the overseas prices?
I can see why people might consider it.

Has anyone ever purchased a habistat thermostat in the UK, shipped it over here, and simply changed the plugs to suit australias outlets?
l did this for years heaps of times before "the herp shop" started selling them, but two points here a lot of people in England wont post to Oz and just watch the postage...solar 17 (Baden)

The way I've done mine no cords have been cut, if I have an issue with one simply swap plug back and return. When I bought my stats cheapest here was $190 ea that I could find. I ended up with 3 for a little more. It doesn't cost much to get an item electrically tagged, which will then validate any insurance claim that may arise from the stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back