Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the enclosure setup. 250mm(L), 160mm (W), 160mm(H). It is outside in the sun during the day and in my room at night with blinds closed. Temps should be fine. It has a rock to bask on, a little log to hide under (which it dug under and is now asleep at). A milk bottle lid of rain water (which I rinse out and clean daily). And some veggies/salad in a small bowl. With some sticks and such to climb. I was going to let it go but I put some meal worms in there today, which are gone. As well as a Woodie in there tonight, which it ate right up. So it can't be too stressed.

I just found a spare 350 x 210 x 190 tank that I could also use.

As it gets bigger I can put it in a 1200 x 300 x 300 tank out the back.

None of those setups are appropriate, read that care sheet I sent you, if you cannot provide the right temps and UVB/A lighting it will run into serious health problems.
The lizard belongs in the wild anyway.

I don't see how it's that bad? During the day it gets sunlight since it is outside in the same area where I caught it so the temps would be the same as in the wild.
A 1000 x 400 x 400 is recommended for three dragons. Not one. So I don't see the size being that big an issue.
It has fresh water everyday.
It has a hide or two.
It has food.

What am I missing? I'm not trying to be a smart **** here. I just really don't get what's so wrong with my setup.

I don't see how it's that bad? During the day it gets sunlight since it is outside in the same area where I caught it so the temps would be the same as in the wild.
It has a hide or two.
It has food.

What am I missing?
A reptile keepers license and adeqaute experience............

In the wild they have the option of thermo-regulating themselves by utilising basking rocks, tunnels, and shady areas, you cannot provide the same temperature range in a small tank, its just not possible regardless of where you live.

It belongs in the wild, if you insist on keeping it then use that care sheet and/or construct a half decent outdoor pit

Last edited:
I used to keep (back when I was a kid) a Bluey, Beardy, and Thorny in an outdoor pit surrounded by a section of rainwater tank. Seemed to worked well.

In the wild they have the option of thermo-regulating themselves by utilising basking rocks, tunnels, and shady areas, you cannot provide the same temperature range in a small tank, its just not possible regardless of where you live.

You have a point about that.

Last edited:
Let it go, it's not fair on the animal if you keep it. It's called a wild ​animal for a reason

I agree, captive bred animals are so cheap these days, why poach readily available species from nature is beyond me, especially when he gets to observe them in the wild whenever he wants

Poaching? Come on. It's one. Not a population. Would you say the same about the four Matbled Gecko eggs I saved from being washed out that hatched? Or the two Barking Geckos I feed up until their tails grew back. Or the Skink I saved from a bird and later released. Or the Jacky Drgaon I helped through a struggling shed and later released. Don't be so bloody harsh.

A 1000 x 400 x 400 is recommended for three dragons. Not one. So I don't see the size being that big an issue.
It has a hide or two.
It has food.

What am I missing? I'm not trying to be a smart **** here. I just really don't get what's so wrong with my setup.

ok, i will point out one thing that is desperately wrong with your enclosure, if you have it outside in the sun, the dragon has no where to go when the temps in its tiny enclosure get to hot.

Please read this thread.http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/r-p-water-dragons-176830/

Not to mention, it is a wild animal that you are keeping captive. as Geckoman said there is no need for you to poach this animal. You said it was no different than the others you had looked after and rehabbed, well it is, this guy was captured purely to get an ID, he was not injured or any more at risk than any other wild animal. That is poaching...

Seriously, is it not better to look at an animal enjoying its natural habitat, than keeping it in a box? if i had wild diamonds, jungles and md's in my backyard, i could guarantee id rather look at those then my guys in a box...

Poaching? Come on. It's one. Not a population.

and if everyone thought the way you do, there would be no populations.

what makes you so special that you dont have to get a licence like everyone else?

Last edited:
I'm not that stupid though. Any animal I have kept outside no matter what sort has always had some form of shade and water if need be.
I never said I wouldn't get a licence either. I mean I know I should get one. And I know what I have to do to get one. I guess I'm just worried they'll knock my attempt back.
It says what privious experiencre do you have and such? How am I supposed to answer that without it being a contrediction. Like yeah I want to get my reptile licence and the experience I have had with reptiles has been keeping them illegally for short periods of itme.

Last edited:
so said the other guy that it happened to, and the others that admitted silly incidents had cost the lives of their reps.

At the end of the day you are going to do what you want to do, but the facts are that you are keeping an uninjured reptile for your own benefit!

stop being a tight wad, get your licence, set up a proper enclosure and buy a captive bred animal.

its people like you that think you are above the law that cause dramas for the legitimate reptile keeper.

I'm not that stupid though. Any animal I have kept outside no matter what sort has always had some form of shade and water if need be.
I never said I wouldn't get a licence either. I mean I know I should get one. And I know what I have to do to get one. I guess I'm just worried they'll knock my attempt back.
It says what privious experiencre do you have and such? How am I supposed to answer that without it being a contrediction. Like yeah I want to get my reptile licence and the experience I have had with reptiles has been keeping them illegally for short periods of itme.

i dont know what the sa requirements are, but i am sure there is an entry level licence that you can get... and if you like rehabilitating reps, why not volunteer for wires (or the sa equivalent ) get some "legitimate" experience and then apply...

I am by no means saying that what you have done with reps in the past doesnt mattere, its just that this animal isnt injured.

OKAY so i just did a quick google for basic SA keepers permit, and no where in it does it ask what previous experience you have!!!

Department of Environment and Natural Resources - Keep and Sell Permit (Basic)

Last edited:
Yeah you have a point. Such a shame that one of the Barkings I let go ended up being eaten by ants. Poor fella.
Since this has gone off topic mods can lock this thread if you want.

Yeah you have a point. Such a shame that one of the Barkings I let go ended up being eaten by ants. Poor fella.

Such is life in the wild... its called the circle of life... ants need to eat too....

Personally I think its only right to interfere with an injured animal if the injury was caused by human involvement

So you're saying the ones I have saved means bugger all becaise of this one? So much for people remembering the good you do.

saved? did i miss something here?
i was about to reply yesterday but declined thinking you'd release the little fella where he/she belongs in the morning but apparently you decided to get attached within a day. Typical.

Hey for a short moment i kept a flying dragon (pretty common where i grew up), that hardly gives me the qualification or any sort of justification to keep like say a green tree monitor now.

"It's just one"? Really? *facepalm*
besides, regardless if you are new here or not, i'm personally astounded you thought you could "temporarily" take and keep a wild animal and expect no repercussions from members here at all.

Last edited:
The reality is that removal of one hatchling dragon will have no effect on the local population. Being a hatchling, it should settle in well to captivity if appropriately looked after. I personally don't have any ethical issues with wild collected animals being brought into captivity. So what are the issues?

There is a recognised need for regulation on the taking of animals from the wild. This stems from the harsh reality that many species have been extirpated or brought to the brink of extinction through unregulated collection for food, the pet trade, their skins and the like. As a consequence, it is illegal for an unlicensed person to take native animals from the wild. While this primarily exists to protect native animals from commercial over-exploitation, it applies to every individual as well. Queensland and Tasmania do recognise this and have set up their systems to allow limited wild taking. In SA it is illegal, as you know. That is your choice and your problem if caught and it does not worry me.

There is, however, another issue that does worry me and has been commented on. If you are going to keep any animal in captivity, then you have an obligation to learn the husbandry required so that the needs of the animal can be met. Otherwise you are likely to compromise its welfare. I must emphasise here, that whatever you have learned in the past with keeping reptiles does not automatically apply to all species. Each species has its own specific needs that must be met. Geckoman went to the effort to locate an authoritative caresheet you could use. Yet for some reason you apparently feel you don't need it. That is a serious issue for me.

Allow me to point out a couple of reason why you DO need to take the advice of those who know. Keeping a lizard alive for a week or two is no indication you are looking after it correctly. You could shove it in a shoe box under your bed for that time and it would still be alive. Use of aquaria as enclosure is extremely problematic and requires a few years of practical experience in order to set one up correctly for reptiles. I do not know what you do when placing it in the sun but that is fraught with potential problems. How often, for how long, at what ambient temperatures, supervised? Protected from arial predators or neighbour's cats etc etc. You put vegies in there for it to eat. They are exclusive insectivores. Do you know anything of their normal behaviour in nature? What they primarily eat? Do you know they construct a burrow at the base of a grass clump or hummock or small shrub. Are you away they make forays fro this to forage for food? Are you aware they quickly retire to their burrow when threatened or full up or too hot?... Do some reading and research your animal. For its benefit.

By your admission you have a very limited knowledge of reptiles. You said a gecko you had nuserd back to condition (tail = fat store) was eaten by ants, so obviously something you did did not work, because that is not normal. No-one laughed at you for confusing dragons and geckoes, a really basic error, because we knew where you where you were coming from. So for you to suggest that you know enough about husbandry, which is a lot more complex than simple recognition of reptile groups, is foolhardy to say the least. You may not mean it too, but it also comes across arrogant and lacking gratitude, so others will be understandably "not happy". the lizard is the loser in all this and that is why others feel so strongly about its release.

My advice would be to let the hatchling go. Get hold of the care sheet offered and do some background reading on C. pictus. Decide if you can meet its needs and are prepare to pay what it costs. I the answers are yes, you can then make your decision about how you intend to procure your lizard(s).

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
There is, however, another issue that does worry me and has been commented on. If you are going to keep any animal in captivity, then you an obligation to learn the husbandry required so that the needs of the animal can be met. Otherwise you are likely to compromise its welfare. I must emphasise here, that whatever you have learned in the past with keeping reptiles does not automatically apply to all species. Each species has its own specific needs that must be met. Newtolovingsnake went to the effort to locate an authoritative caresheet you could use. Yet for some reason you apparently feel you don't need it. That is a serious issue for me.

Blue

*clears throat* :lol:

My sincere apologies and thanks for the gee-up over my mistake. I had intended to check which one of you was responsible. Unfortunately, by the time I finished constructing the tome it slipped my mind.

Pretty damn frustrating for both you guys when you are giving sound advice and it appears to be not only ignored but deemed unecessary and unwanted. I picked up the baton for you guys as well as the likely fate of the hatchling pictus.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back