calling all horse people

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrais

Reaction score
hello everyone,
okkk well im leasing this 15hh standardbred named Noddy. He is a beautiful horse, nice full coloured bay. Although me and him are having 'respect' issues. for the first week i was leasing him i was very soft, little too soft and he pushed me around alot, but he was very cuddly when i gave him treats. I later on decided that bribing him with food wasn't the best approach so i spotted giving him carrots every time i saw him and became alot firmer with him..... well did he not like that!!! :evil:
now i still get pushed around eg: getting very impatient when saddling him so he will try and bite me, when i walk past him he nudges me really hard. He also sometimes just runs me over and runs out the gate. when i try to catch him he gives me the silent treatment (turns him bum in my face). Sometimes he can be a real pain but he is the sweetest ever once u untack him a cool him off! wht can i do to gain his respect more??? when he is with his owner, he acts like an angel. He also is a bit flighty, and when i try new things with him he gets very spooked. the other day we tried to take him for a walk down the road and it took us 30 mins to get him 20 metres from the driveway. He has been abused in the past and he used to race. In a couple of weeks his owner is going to uni and she wont be around. She is the one that always saves me when i cant catch him, or rug him up, or get him to go through a gate. I dont know wht im going to do if something goes wrong. Her husband is none horesy and so is my parents. She always wants me to agist him closer to us in a couple of months time, and i would like to do that but i need to show her that i can get noddy to do all these things without any trouble.
cheers
Andrea

There are SOME horse people on here, who may be able to help.

There is also a site called Eques, that my daughter has been a member of for a few years.

Eques Forum

It has been a tremendous amount of help for her with her horses. It is the same as this forum....except with horses :)

Hope that helps.

where is he adjisted, is it a community paddock you could possibly ask for help from some of the other people that are there?? good luck. i would also recommend the eques forum it can be very helpful.
theres the typical " forum experts" but also a lot of people who could help! :)

theres the typical " forum experts" but also a lot of people who could help! :)[/QUOTE]

like in every forum miss 2 :D

looking at a few places near us to agist him but right now he is at his owners house. Yeh most of them are community paddocks with alot of other horses.

Shellfisch's daughter here
Also google Horse Problems.
Lots to learn about behaviour and respect on there.

As with anything on the net, don't take everything you read as gospel but it can be helpful.

Sounds like he has gotten it over you well & truly which is dangerous - if you must continue with this horse you are probably best to find a trainer or instructor to give you both lessons. He is not allowed to be disrespecting you or putting it over you like he is.

Steer clear of methods like hitting him, scaring him etc as it probably won't do any good if he has been abused before.. Best not to try it... they can hurt us much more than us them

I have had much the same problem with my horse (though not to this extent) and lost a lot of confidence, I was lucky to find someone to help me get the respect back and teach us both.

Good luck :)

Hi Andrea,
I grew up riding horses, & I would think seriously about taking on this horse. You have respect issues & he used to race. I don't know how experienced you are at riding, I would only let a very experienced rider, ride a ex racehorse. Ex trotters are ok, if you like trotting.
I was asked if I wanted an ex racehorse, when I was riding alot. He was a beautiful natured gelding & too slow on the racecourse. Whenever he got spooked, he would just want to bolt & bolt he would.
I started with a beautiful little bombproof mare, she turned into the best little showjumper & cross country. We won lots of shows.
Just be careful.

Hi Andrea,
I grew up riding horses, & I would think seriously about taking on this horse. You have respect issues & he used to race. I don't know how experienced you are at riding, I would only let a very experienced rider, ride a ex racehorse. Ex trotters are ok, if you like trotting.
I was asked if I wanted an ex racehorse, when I was riding alot. He was a beautiful natured gelding & too slow on the racecourse. Whenever he got spooked, he would just want to bolt & bolt he would.
I started with a beautiful little bombproof mare, she turned into the best little showjumper & cross country. We won lots of shows.
Just be careful.

yeh he an ex trotter, he didn't actually race much from wht the previous owners said he only did 5-8 starts, but he was just waaay to slow. I've ridden him about 10 times now and havn't had any issues with him, he does as his told, but its when i'm down on the ground that he plays up. I've been riding for 6 yrs now. he's been to so many homes apparrently and i guess that contributes to the fact that he doesn't trust people too. . If being gentle and kind doesn't work, and being firm but fair doesn't work i wonder wht does with him. He preforms like a angel to his owner but is a b#$ch to me. I dont want to give up on him, he's got potential as a good dressage horse, loving long strides and a great trot, of course being a standardbred its wht he is good at, and on sataday for the first time cantering him he got the hang of it pretty well. I just dont know how long its going to take for him to respect me... but one thing for sure im not going to give up on him until i've tried my hardess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back